• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Laptop Recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by portseven View Post
    What about the new Asus EEE PC?

A small laptop, 512MB RAM, 900Mhz Celeron, 7" Screen, 4Gb Flash HDD, Wifi, Ethernet, USB Ports

All for approx £220, various places are selling them see

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=1067

Very tempted to buy one myself, would make a good contractors laptop for use on client sites.
    Just be careful if the name of the reseller in question rhymes with "fresh" and is another word for "lattice". If their stuff works out of the box and stays working - you've got a good deal. If anything goes wrong you are begoniad regardless of how much extra warranty you've paid for.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
      One thing that suprised me about Dell was how open they are to haggling.
      How does one go about this, exactly? I find their website somewhat tacit. Especially since I'm only buying one.

My wife has an XPS M1210 and it's a superb little machine. It's a chubby little thing but well loaded. Bargain, too.

Comment

In order to haggle, you need to call them..
        The "Fit" hits the "Shan"

Comment

Originally posted by Zorba View Post
          It's a chubby little thing but well loaded.
          Sounds like SA.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            Sounds like SA.

Comment

Originally posted by Zorba View Post
              How does one go about this, exactly? I find their website somewhat tacit. Especially since I'm only buying one.

My wife has an XPS M1210 and it's a superb little machine. It's a chubby little thing but well loaded. Bargain, too.
              I used the online chat to get intouch with the sales staff, one of the sales people called me. Had a week of calls and emails back and forth... in the end I got the laptop with the software about £200 less than the list price and the 3 year worldwide support thrown in for free.
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by monkeyBoy32 View Post
                I would generally always go with Dell - buy through their business site as well - I specked exactly the same laptop through their home site and their business site - the business laptop was £200 cheaper.

My approach is that I buy a new, medium spec machine every couple of years - they're so cheap now. I don't see the point in spending nearly 1k on a laptop that will be a low-spec machine in 3 years time. By buying a new machine from dell every couple of years, I always have an ok machine...
                Or eBay it. I found my brand-new M1710 for £500 less than the list price on eBay. It's from a proper computer shop that does all the haggling for me, nice and sweet.

I'm loving my M1710, yes it's pricey and it'll be outdated in 2 years time, but currently it plays all the game that I want superbly, VS 2005 runs nicely on it too (2GB RAM), does everything that I want really.

If you don't play games yes I'd say M1710 is a bit of an overkill.

Comment

Working...
                X