• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Laptop Recommendations"

Collapse

• vhadiant
    replied
    Originally posted by monkeyBoy32 View Post
    I would generally always go with Dell - buy through their business site as well - I specked exactly the same laptop through their home site and their business site - the business laptop was £200 cheaper.

My approach is that I buy a new, medium spec machine every couple of years - they're so cheap now. I don't see the point in spending nearly 1k on a laptop that will be a low-spec machine in 3 years time. By buying a new machine from dell every couple of years, I always have an ok machine...
    Or eBay it. I found my brand-new M1710 for £500 less than the list price on eBay. It's from a proper computer shop that does all the haggling for me, nice and sweet.

I'm loving my M1710, yes it's pricey and it'll be outdated in 2 years time, but currently it plays all the game that I want superbly, VS 2005 runs nicely on it too (2GB RAM), does everything that I want really.

If you don't play games yes I'd say M1710 is a bit of an overkill.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Zorba View Post
    How does one go about this, exactly? I find their website somewhat tacit. Especially since I'm only buying one.

My wife has an XPS M1210 and it's a superb little machine. It's a chubby little thing but well loaded. Bargain, too.
    I used the online chat to get intouch with the sales staff, one of the sales people called me. Had a week of calls and emails back and forth... in the end I got the laptop with the software about £200 less than the list price and the 3 year worldwide support thrown in for free.

Leave a comment:

• Zorba
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Sounds like SA.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Zorba View Post
    It's a chubby little thing but well loaded.
    Sounds like SA.

Leave a comment:

• KevinS
    replied
    In order to haggle, you need to call them..

Leave a comment:

• Zorba
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    One thing that suprised me about Dell was how open they are to haggling.
    How does one go about this, exactly? I find their website somewhat tacit. Especially since I'm only buying one.

My wife has an XPS M1210 and it's a superb little machine. It's a chubby little thing but well loaded. Bargain, too.

Leave a comment:

• lexington_spurs
    replied
    Originally posted by portseven View Post
    What about the new Asus EEE PC?

A small laptop, 512MB RAM, 900Mhz Celeron, 7" Screen, 4Gb Flash HDD, Wifi, Ethernet, USB Ports

All for approx £220, various places are selling them see

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=1067

Very tempted to buy one myself, would make a good contractors laptop for use on client sites.
    Just be careful if the name of the reseller in question rhymes with "fresh" and is another word for "lattice". If their stuff works out of the box and stays working - you've got a good deal. If anything goes wrong you are begoniad regardless of how much extra warranty you've paid for.

Leave a comment:

• portseven
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Did an E-Auction with them for a previous client who were looking to standardize on their laptop's. Dell wiped the floor with the other vendors, no-one could touch them on price.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied

Leave a comment:

• monkeyBoy32
    replied
    I would generally always go with Dell - buy through their business site as well - I specked exactly the same laptop through their home site and their business site - the business laptop was £200 cheaper.

My approach is that I buy a new, medium spec machine every couple of years - they're so cheap now. I don't see the point in spending nearly 1k on a laptop that will be a low-spec machine in 3 years time. By buying a new machine from dell every couple of years, I always have an ok machine...

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by vhadiant View Post
    I've had multiple Dell laptops from multiple consulting jobs. They all are usually a good bog standard laptop. For my personal one I bought XPS M1710 about a year ago. Never been happier with the build quality. They've gone a long way Dell.
    I bought a Dell Precision M65 in July... not had a problem with it. Bought software (Visual Studio, SQL Server Dev edition) from Dell at the same time as it worked out cheaper than buying seperately.
    Got the 3 year worldwide onsite support thrown in for free!

Almost went for the XPS M1710 but I didn't like the thought of the big red XPS logo on the lid lighting up the clients office.

I've used Dells a lot over the years, servers, PC's, laptops, PDA, RAID and been happy with them and the support they've given when things have gone wrong (99% the time its the hard drive thats the problem)

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by daviejones View Post
    MacBook Pro...will never go wrong...
    Seconded on that. Nice machines.

Leave a comment:

• portseven
    replied
    What about the new Asus EEE PC?

A small laptop, 512MB RAM, 900Mhz Celeron, 7" Screen, 4Gb Flash HDD, Wifi, Ethernet, USB Ports

All for approx £220, various places are selling them see

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=1067

Very tempted to buy one myself, would make a good contractors laptop for use on client sites.

Leave a comment:

• fridge
    replied
    Get her a nice little HP Compaq nc 4200 that wont take up to much space. she may even get it into her handbag.

Leave a comment:

• Moose423956
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    There's a sticky in the technical forum on moneysavingexpert about good value laptops.
    Faqqer, thanks for that, very helpful. ebuyer looks like a good bet. Something like this.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X