• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any spread betting sites that have web service access?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any spread betting sites that have web service access?

Hi,

I have a daft idea to use an automated program to place and close spread bets for me. Therefore I need a company that offers a spread betting service that has an automated interface (ideally Web Service).

Does such a thing exist or is everyone expected to sit at a browser 24/7 making and closing bets?

TIA

DP

igindex have a java app that runs on a mobile. So I assume there must be a webservice behind it somewhere.

Either you could ask those nice chaps if they'd expose it for you (oo err missus) or you could get hold of the java app and try to spoof it.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Silly question maybe but why not just set Limit Orders?

Otherwise Barclays have an online platform, but they're not the cheapest broker to use.

Comment

Might be worth looking at Betfair who have an API you could expose:

http://bdp.betfair.com/

Comment

Originally posted by yellow View Post
          Might be worth looking at Betfair who have an API you could expose:

http://bdp.betfair.com/
          Sadly, I'm looking at Financial Spread Betting and not a flutter on the horses.

Comment

There is an American broker:

www.tradestation.com

where you can run a program in a language called "EasyLanguage" that trades for you automatically depending upon market values and indicators etc.

I think it might allow external data input, from reading text files.

But I think trading is a mugs game - I've never found a strategy that provides a positive expectancy for returns. All the back-testing I've ever done has returned approximately neutral.

But I'm still searching.

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
              There is an American broker:

www.tradestation.com

where you can run a program in a language called "EasyLanguage" that trades for you automatically depending upon market values and indicators etc.

I think it might allow external data input, from reading text files.

But I think trading is a mugs game - I've never found a strategy that provides a positive expectancy for returns. All the back-testing I've ever done has returned approximately neutral.

But I'm still searching.
              Perhaps your not very good at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
                Perhaps your not very good at it.
                Nobody is, thats why tracker funds consistently outperform managed funds over the middle to long term. In the short term it's either inside knowledge or luck.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                  Nobody is, thats why tracker funds consistently outperform managed funds over the middle to long term. In the short term it's either inside knowledge or luck.

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post

But I'm still searching.
                    On a side note, does anyone know of a source for historical financial data? even if it is as coarse as daily open/close/high/low/volume? This is for offline 'back-testing' - I'm hoping there is somewhere where I can download a big fat text file for free.

Comment

Working...
                    X