• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Filesharing between Vista and XP

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a lot of problems with Norton. A fairly recent magazine test I read on a number of anti-virus programs reckoned it isn't even that good. As does this one:

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/so...irus-software/

However, users complain that Norton AntiVirus can slow your computer to a crawl, and that Norton conflicts with other software. Although reviewers say the 2007 version is improved, we still read many complaints about installation problems and crashes. No credible source ranks Norton AntiVirus as one of the top programs this year.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 9 July 2007, 18:37.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Thankyou Xog,

What get's me most about Norton is it's tendancy to 'warn' you that you're 'unprotected' every 30 seconds.

When you do finally click on the effing thing just to make it STFU it takes you to a registration page for a 90 day trial...

Is it any wonder those numpties at PC world push this tat so aggressively?

I bet they don't even get any commission either.

Feckin eedjuts
      "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
        Windows (XP/Vista) comes with a perfectly good firewall for the majority of users so why waste the money?
        The problem with XP/vista firewall is that it runs in 'stateful' mode - i.e. it logs what sites you go to and if that site sends a request back it's classed as safe. What XP/Vista does not do is check activity from applications on your PC connecting out to the intrernet and vice versa do determine if it's non-malicious activity.

My advice is always get a good firewall. norton is cr@p but McAffee and Kapersky do some excelent products.

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On
          Thanks for the replies folks - I got it sorted in the end. The main source of the frustration was that something as simple as connecting 2 machines via a workgroup had to be such a complete and utter headache.

A 5 minute job like that shouldn't need over an hour of Googling and jumping through hoops trying this and that. Why is it that everytime MS bring out a new OS they have to go all doolally with bells and whistles to the extent that the basic stuff doesn't work..

Networking XP and Vista should be seemless IMO.
          It is seemless when you know what your doing

Comment

Originally posted by Kyajae
            The problem with XP/vista firewall is that it runs in 'stateful' mode - i.e. it logs what sites you go to and if that site sends a request back it's classed as safe. What XP/Vista does not do is check activity from applications on your PC connecting out to the intrernet and vice versa do determine if it's non-malicious activity.

My advice is always get a good firewall. norton is cr@p but McAffee and Kapersky do some excelent products.
            Norton bought McAffee a while back and the latest version is a pile of cack IMHO. Kaspersky all the way for me!!!

Comment

Working...
            X