• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windows 2000 Server

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am completely up to date, For the record, I am a Certified Novell Administrator and a Certified Novell Salesperson. Hence my ability to offer the SBS6 Starter Pack.

You are correct in stating that Novell have acquired SuSE and will be porting all their applications and directory services to Linux. We're very happy to support that too.

From NetWare 7 eDirectory will be bundled and available on both the NetWare and Linux kernals, and many systems have already been ported and are supported on both RedHat & SuSE. Some time is needed, hence the current NetWare 6.5 release.

Certainly happy to offer the evaluation version of Small Business Suite 6 - in fact it's the Starter Pack, which has 5 user & 2 server non time expiring licenses.

See my profile for details.

Novell bought SuSe Linux and now will move completely to it - I remember we had big argument that Novell won't die - but there it is - clear sign of imminent death
    Errrm, excuse me, but if NOVELL acquired SuSE - how does that spell imminent death for Novell? I think, maybe, you are misreading/misinterpreting the situation.

If you mean imminent death for NetWare - I don't see that happening either - as I said, release 7 will include support for both NetWare & Linux kernels. Frankly, I don't see that it matters which kernel the services run on! Administrators will now have a choice - and if they feel more comfortable with the Linux kernel, so be it.

The biggest change I see is in the desktop - now Novell have a complete desktop to server solution. In fact, there is already no need to use the Novell Client, as NetWare 6 allows for a browser based interface (although a Linux Desktop Client is available). And Mozilla or KDE work fine, in my experience. Havent tried other Linux desktops/browsers though.

For the record, Novell ZENworks uses a Linux partition for desktop imaging, and has done for a couple of years ttbomk.

Comment

> Certified Novell Salesperson

now that explains

i meant death of NetWare - by buying Linux Novell - the company - might survive, but personally I think they will be bought by IBM or someone else.

Good luck to your enterprise anyway.

Comment

IBM already have a stake in Novell. Small at the moment, admittedly. But Novell & IBM have been business partners for some time, although I'm not sure how long.

Comment

but you do agree that Novell NetWare as it is now will be phrase out in favour of something that will do similar thing and perhaps be compatible but based on Linux?

Comment

I suppose that will depend upon how successful Linux is and whether there is any call for the NetWare kernel.

So far as most existing CNE's/CNA's are concerned, it will depend upon their level of experience with the product.

Many may try the Linux kernel and like it (or already have experience of it). Many may not.

Novell have been trying to move away from tools like NWAdmin to ConsoleOne (a Java based combined administration system) for years - with only limited success. Improvements along that route may well depend upon the Linux kernel.

However, I think it is safe to say that the highly advanced eDirectory (which has always made something of a mockery of MS Active Directory IMV) is where Novell is "AT" in terms of the network operating/managing system - NetWare is just something to run it, and other services, on (like Linux - or even NT/2000/XP Pro for that matter).

Personally - I'm much more familiar with NetWare, than I am with Linux - but then I'm just an old fuddy duddy.

However, we musn't forget how efficient NetWare is in handling all those services. If one NetWare server can handle the load of - well a great deal more - NT/2000 servers, as we know it can, many MCNEs will be looking to see if the Linux kernel is equally efficient in those terms. It may well be more so - but if it is less so, then costs will raise it's head over personal preference.

Comment

If they can get Novell Directory system, speed & reliability to transfer seamlessly to UNIX whilst controlling ease of use issues (OK Novell wasn't intuitive, but if you patched it correctly, read the manual 3 times, checked all settings, you didn't get many surprises - it just worked) Possibly I'm out of date I last used 4.1.

Seems like a perfect way out of a proprietary OS and back into the mainstream fold. The Netware branch could be cut down and fit into NAS or Print servers to preserve the investment.

Comment

Working...
              X