• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Problems with Freeview installation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm puzzled by the "snowy" comment - snow is just noise on the signal. I don't have digital but I thought it either worked or didn't - ie you can't get a degraded picture (except complete breakups).

I guess you were referring to the analogue picture. I think that needs to be pretty much perfect or digital is a no-go.

It's always best to replace the coax - water gets in it and makes it lossy. Cheap coax is usually pretty crud but in good signal areas is often good enough - to guess the quality look at the braid - if you can see the core insulator through it it's cheap (regardless of what it cost). Top notch cables are usually semi-airspaced (not a foam insulator but polythene - either extruded with triagular air spaces or with a big gap and a spiral of polythene running up inside.

The other thing is the aerial - again I don't know but I imagine it has to be very broadband given the number of channels on digital. Normal TV aerials come in groups A B C and C/D depending on which transmitter you are receiving - I'd imagine an aerial for digital may have to cover the whole UHF TV band which from my experience means a log periodic design would be best (you could use google to see what that is).

Sorry - after typing all this tosh I realise it's probably of limited use to you.

Comment

The other option is to pay an aerial man to put the aerial up.

It's safer.

Comment

possibly the most sensible post in this thread

Comment

Thank you kindly, sir.

Comment

I thought it (ditigal terrestrial reception) either worked or didn't - ie you can't get a degraded picture (except complete breakups).
            If only that were true. You can get both degraded pictures (digitally garbled) & sound, and an incomplete service (missing channels) on DTT.

And weather conditions can affect the range - so on day one you lose, say, 6 channels, on day two you have them again.

DTT can be a nightmare if you don't get a good quality signal. Nothing worse than watching your favourite programme only to have it turn to mush half way through.

Since the death of ITV Digital, the BBC have changed the way DTT is transmitted (but retained compatibility with old ITV Digital boxes). This is better, but in my experience not enough.

Thankfully, I'm on cable at the moment.

Comment

It's gone from 64QAM to 16QAM on most channels (I think).

Comment

WE HAVE LIFTOFF!!!!!!!

(apart from the occasional loss of sound - I'll investigate and report back)

New decent cabling (almost) did the trick...

Comment

Re: WE HAVE LIFTOFF!!!!!!!

Good show.

Now all you have to do is find something to watch...

Comment

Working...
                  X