• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Problems with Freeview installation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: re

the aerial came from the local 'aerial man' and it is up on the roof. installation was part of the deal with the 'aerial man'.

Comment

At least the broadband media put it about that you need to check your exchange first.
      Not the b@stard BBC though....
      There is a postcode checker though ...
      www.bbc.co.uk/digital/howtoget.shtml

Naturally being a rustic Morris Dancing banjo player ( according to the rabbit ) I can't get any digital - outside freeview area, no cable, and the building is listed so I can't put up a dish.

This does not particularly bother me - in the previous house we had Sky while my daughter was living at home and I found that instead of flipping through 4 channels of tulipe and turning it off and shoving in a DVD I had to flip through about 50 channels of tulipe before turning it off and shoving in a DVD (the other 150 channels are for shoppers and god botherers or those with even lower IQs than chimpanzees)

Comment

hurrah I'm now in a freeview area - bye bye Sky £20 a month better off and less rubbish to watch I will miss discovery & scifi though.

Comment

But it's only discovery, history, scifi and Angel/Enterprise that make digital tv worth while.... though £20/month is quite a lot really.

What makes it particularly good value is not having to watch the output of the local yokels when they commandeer BBC2 to put on endless rugby/soccer/darts/bowling matches.

The audience watching nowheresville south wales playing nowheresville north wales must be astronomic.

And it pisses off the Trekkies.

Like me.

Comment

Latest update...

Bought an 18 element aerial from Maplins.

Hubby's banging, drilling and thudding around in the loft and has set up said aerial to 4 degrees.

Most channels now available but one or two suffering from
            ' time delayed blockiness'...

hhmmm... does this mean I have to go out and buy a booster? Again?

Watch this space...

Comment

Can you put a booster on a booster?

Comment

Best place for an aerial amp is right up near the aerial. It's all a question of signal to noise ratio.

Comment

ta fiddle, this may be the next step...

Comment

One other thing to bear in mind - you can lose 10db or more by having the aerial in a loft as opposed to on the chimney - how's hubby on the roof.

Just after I left school BBC2 came out and I used to do UHF aerial installations with a mate at weekends - we both made more in a weekend than we did during the week working - if we could have got enough work and had the bottle we would have set up our own business. I never had a problem with doing it then but I wouldn't do it now.

Comment

He's just spent 2 hours up there and got worse reception on the the roof than in the loft (v 'snowy'). He fitted a 6ft extension too...

Bizarre...

He thinks the cable he used might be crap (and too long), but when do you stop throwing good money after bad?

It's all very disheartening...

Comment

Working...
                      X