• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SUSE 10.0 X11 not working after PC upgrade

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SUSE 10.0 X11 not working after PC upgrade

Hi All,

I'm a Linux numpty and have recently upgraded the hardware on a machine that is running SUSE 10.0 at home. Basically when it boots now it won't run X11. I think it's because it now has a different video card in it. Could this be the case? I can get to a command line no probs, so is there a command line option for reconfiguring it?

TIA

PL

try the suse forums.

do a seach first.

yes almost certainly because of new hardware
    Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

What kind of video card is it?, theres normally packages for ati and nvidia ones on their respective websites.

Comment

Fixed now thx

It's an onboard card.

For anyone else who has similar probs you need to type the following;

init3

sax2

Works fine now thanks

Comment

Good-oh..
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I've had this problem a number of times with SuSE 9.3 and 10.1 when making changes using SaX2, in particular when activating VNC as this tends to add extra devices to xorg.conf. Quite often doing init 3 and then sax 2 and reconfiguring works but not always and then you need to go into xorg.conf and manually edit the file (make a copy first!) After exiting sax2 you can do either an init 5 or use the startx command.
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
            X