• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting family photos scanned

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting family photos scanned

My late parents' photos and slides are sitting in a couple of boxes and I'm conscious this isn't great especially for photos, nor does it lend itself to looking at them.

I am sure others here will have used services which get them professionally scanned to digital form, so any recommendations and experiences are welcome. I imagine likely use is to put them on Facebook on significant days, reminisce on the laptop, etc.

A few random thoughts/questions...
    • Is it worth going through them all to pick out the ones we want and save Xp per image, or just ship the box of albums... especially with slides it's a fiddle to go through them all?
    • I have no idea at all what this costs and how much prep work is expected of me. Does it differ much depending who we use... what is your experience?
    • A lot of our photos have the date stamp, as cameras used to... I don't suppose these can be added to the image metadata during scanning? They're all going to end up in Google or somewhere and being able to search by date (or have it pop up memories automatically) would be nice if I want to "find all Xmas photos" etc. Long term I might manually add location data "find all photos from Cornwall 1986" but auto-adding date would be a big time-saver
    Might be a nice nostalgic Xmas project to go through these on the long dark winters' nights by the fire...
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Buy a decent scanner and do them yourself. The Epson perfection range are great and come with film and slide guides and the software to do them well.
    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

We have a similar situation, my partner was a prolific photo taker and is a bit of a hoarder - we have boxes of photos in the garage.

I looked into it and while a dedicated photo scanner was more than I was willing to pay for there are companies that will rent you one.

https://www.envio.rentals/items/auto-feed-photo for example - just dump your photos in the feeder, press a button and let it go - better than trying to do it on a flat bed when you have a lot of photos.

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
        Buy a decent scanner and do them yourself. The Epson perfection range are great and come with film and slide guides and the software to do them well.
        Exactly this.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
        X