• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Preferred online photo backup?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preferred online photo backup?

My free Google allowance is about to be reached and in any case, it doesn't include all my older digital photos which are on various USB drives around the house.
    I'm an Android (Pixel) phone user and exclusively take new photos on my phone so Google seems perhaps the easy/obvious option, but my wife is Apple so it's not quite the slam-dunk.
    Being able to have shared access is important but I don't really like it being wholly my (or her) account in case something awful happened to either of us.
    Making is easy is important for both of us... in a perfect world we'd backup to NAS and that would sync to a cloud backup, but in reality the phone auto-uploading every photo to the cloud is a big win because people are bad at remembering and dull tasks get put off.
    We'd want to have a physical backup (i.e. NAS or external drive) as well so that we're not beholden to a cloud provider.

Any suggestions and arguments what works well?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

My solution;
    • Synology NAS with Synology CloudSync application replicating files between the NAS and OneDrive
    • Photos taken on phones are automatically uploaded to OneDrive and synched to the NAS
    • Photos taken with my DSLR are copied to NAS and automatically synched with OneDrive
    • Weekly backup of NAS to disks kept off-site on rotating cycle

Comment

Originally posted by Protagoras View Post
      My solution;
      • Synology NAS with Synology CloudSync application replicating files between the NAS and OneDrive
      • Photos taken on phones are automatically uploaded to OneDrive and synched to the NAS
      • Photos taken with my DSLR are copied to NAS and automatically synched with OneDrive
      • Weekly backup of NAS to disks kept off-site on rotating cycle
      That sounds quite smooth, I hadn't realised automatic backup to non-native cloud (Google/iCloud) was really an option.
      It looks like you can actually do auto-backup to NAS in some cases and then (presumably) still sync but have the NAS as source rather than client. It might be nice if the 'original file' is copied to the NAS unaltered, as some cloud services modify (or let you modify) it on upload.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

You can use Flickr to automatically backup, although you have to buy the Pro package to do it. That will give you unlimited storage and automatic backup from smartphones and computers - with the computer you install the program and then select which folder(s) contain your photos. It then uploads them and any time you add a new photo, it uploads that.
        You also have the advantage that you can view your photos on flickr from anywhere just using a web browser.

I've been using it for years, there are probably better & cheaper options, but I like it.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

That sounds quite smooth, I hadn't realised automatic backup to non-native cloud (Google/iCloud) was really an option.
          It looks like you can actually do auto-backup to NAS in some cases and then (presumably) still sync but have the NAS as source rather than client. It might be nice if the 'original file' is copied to the NAS unaltered, as some cloud services modify (or let you modify) it on upload.
          The NAS is both the source and the destination, depending where the flies originate. So when I upload my holiday phone snaps to OneDrive, they're on the NAS when I get back. The Synology client supports a number of could platforms (https://www.synology.com/en-global/d...ure/cloud_sync) and presumably other NAS vendors have similar offerings.

I'd really call the NAS<>Cloud synchronisation 'replication' rather than backup though. There are options for both ways synchronisation, but as with any such things, deletes and updates can be synchronised too. It does support concurrent multiple accounts to targets on the same cloud platform, which is handy for multiple users.

The ability to use storage snapshots on the NAS provides accidental deletion protection. I use physical storage for by backups, but could equally well use another cloud provider with one-way copy from the NAS.

The reason I use OneDrive is simply that the storage offering as part of the 365 subscription means that there's no additional cost.

Last edited by Protagoras; 23 October 2023, 17:09.

Comment

Working...
          X