• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Printing on card

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Printing on card

I want to print on card with my Lexmark inkjet printer but not I'm sure what weight (GSM) to go for. I'm probably looking for something with similar stiffness to greeting cards. The printer spec says it can handle up to 500GSM but I'm a bit dubious about that.

Any suggestions as to what GSM card to go for?

Thanks.

About 250 - 350 GSM I think.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
      About 250 - 350 GSM I think.
      Thanks. I'll order a few sheets of 300 to start with.

Comment

Funnily enough I've been struggling with this for awhile. I'm using an officejet 9750 and to do both sites I am having to use 200 and under. The standard home printers just can't cope with anything else. The paper is like half way between card and paper.

Are you trying to do both sides or just just a single feed? You might get away with a single feed as it doesn't have to do all the bending to turn it over but the rollers are so small I still think you are going to have trouble with anything over 225.

Are you doing A4? I'm using A6 which doesn't help either.

Go down the local craft shop, they will have cards of all thickness. Just buy a few and try it.

Which model Lexmark do you have? I'd be very interested in knowing what it could do and get the same one myself.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I did try buying some old office ones from auction at Simon James. Figured been office rated they'd do heavier card and I'd be able to get them cheaper than the toner and just junk them after but after two busts and one that didn't do both sides I gave up on that.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I'm just printing A4, single sided.

The Lexmark (Z615) is nearly 20 years old. I don't print that much, which is probably why it's kept working for so long.

Maybe I'll start with 200GSM.
            Last edited by woody1; 21 July 2023, 18:42.

Comment

In the end, I ordered some 200 and 300. I'll update the thread when I've tried them.

Comment

Working...
              X