• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tip: reviving an (old) dead laptop

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tip: reviving an (old) dead laptop

Done this successfully with two old laptops, so I could get stuff off before binning the things.

If, every time you power it up, it won't boot and you get a blank screen, try this. (You might also get an indication of a CPU/GPU fault. On Compaq/HP, this is indicated by a continuously blinking CAPS LOCK button.)

Wrap it in a towel, blocking the fan vents, then power it up and leave it until it gets pretty damn hot. Then power it off, and immediately back on again. With a bit of luck, it may boot up.

From what I've read, the problem is caused by solder joints on the chips going bad, and it's quite a common fault as laptops age.

NB. although laptops have a thermal cut-out, it's probably best not to leave them wrapped in a towel unattended!
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

My ancient Toshiba laptop booted, let me play a game of Freecell, wouldn't read the A: drive, then died completely.

Happily the HD is readable using a USB thingie so all that wonderful Win98 based software is quite safe. .

The remainder of it is now in a lot of pieces in approved PF "One of these days" fashion.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
    X