• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's your favourite DLNA client?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's your favourite DLNA client?

My new TV DVR includes DLNA server functionality meaning you can watch not just recordings but live TV on any device with a suitable DLNA client. Pretty cool IMHO but this brings me to dive into the world of DLNA/UPNP only to find that it's, well, tulip. I thought this was an established standard that had been around for decades and expected I might find polished, slick clients in rare cases it wasn't built in.

First thing is finding there's hundreds of applications out there and it's not really clear which to use. DLNA is only one 'bit' of what most software does and many are more focused on serving content than playing it. Here's a few I have tried, I'd love any recommendations for an easy-to-use client that will just let me watch stuff:
    • VLC. I've used this a bit over the years and know it's a real OG for playing virtually any content, but I have tried it on Android, Mac and FireTV without being very happy. On FireTV it simply doesn't see my server at all, on Mac the interface is awful, on my phone the interface is nice but servers keep disappearing and reappearing from the auto-discovered list. Perhaps some network settings on my firewall needed?
    • Kodi. Another big name. Installed on my Fire tablet easily and it looked good, but it lists videos as 00:01 long, it plays them but you can't FWD. On Mac this bug wasn't there but the interface is like something I did when I was 15, it traps a mouse cursor in the window like playing Doom on Windows 95.
    • Elmedia Player. I installed it and couldn't even see how to select a DLNA source. Will try again later as it looks fairly slick.
    I haven't tried Plex yet, I was going to but isn't it more of a server app?

All making me feel like my dad when he had to switch from Dos/Win3.1 in his 40s. (thanks JB)

Anyway are these the best options or is there something better? IIRC Windows has this built in but I don't run Windows these days. I am not after anything fancy, just a easy way to watch videos on my DVR.
    Last edited by d000hg; 31 October 2022, 16:57.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I don't watch live TV and just use the various TV channel websites for catch up (or my brother's SkyGo log in).

HWMBO uses Kodi via a linux vm and I use VLC for any downloaded content.

My Synergy NAS, where I dump all my downloads, does have a built in player but I've no idea if it's any good or if it will connect to live TV feeds.

Comment

With Kodi have a look at the addons available one or more of these may help you.
        Former IPSE member
        My Website

Comment

Working...
        X