• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Saving electricity

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Bloody hell - our clock radio is ancient (+30 years old).

time to buy a new one I think.
    A telltale sign that it's using quite a bit of electricity is if the case feels warm.
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

Retired ex-IT contractor, with nothing better to do than watch the electricity meter.
      turn off the smart meter......

See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

A telltale sign that it's using quite a bit of electricity is if the case feels warm.
        but if you are paying to heat your house, is that "waste" heat actually wasted?
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

With oil heating being so expensive, there's probably not much cost difference between heat from electrical appliances and oil fire CH.

I still think crypto mining aiming to break even on mining coins vs electricity cost, but with "free" heat, must be a solution?

First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post

With oil heating being so expensive, there's probably not much cost difference between heat from electrical appliances and oil fire CH.

I still think crypto mining aiming to break even on mining coins vs electricity cost, but with "free" heat, must be a solution?
            I was mining before the elec price rise last year. The waste heat wasn't wasted. My office was the only warm room in the house most of the year.
            It would have made money if I'd sold my ETH before the crash
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post

Wrong by a factor of over 3!

Oil - 10p/kWh (100p/litre; 10kWh/litre)

Electricity - 33p/kWh + £16/month standing charge

https://nottenergy.com/resources/energy-cost-comparison
              Last edited by DealorNoDeal; 12 October 2022, 18:48.
              Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

That's why I deliberately didn't use the word "waste".

If you have gas or oil heating, then you don't want to be using electricity for heat because it's 3 times the price per kWh.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  Bloody hell - our clock radio is ancient (+30 years old).

time to buy a new one I think.
                  Same here, I was in my teens when I got my alarm clock radio. Trouble is, not many modern ones have all the features I use!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Same here, I was in my teens when I got my alarm clock radio. Trouble is, not many modern ones have all the features I use!
                    Unless the casing feels very warm, it's probably only using a few Watts (less than a couple of quid a month).

Comment

I'd be amazed if it was as much as that.

Bought my LED alarm clock in 1978.

It's been "fixed" two or three times since IIRC.

The LEDs are a bit dim now but just right for night time time checks.

Small iron transformers are much less efficient* than larger ones, I forget why, it's sommat to do with core losses and magnetising current or something.

*That's 98% against 99.5% for really big transformers. I'd guess the really little ones are even worse. If I could be arsed I'd do some measurements but that ain't going to happen.
                      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                      X