• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Logging websites visited from my home network

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Logging websites visited from my home network

Hi,

I have a broadband router sitting behind an Orbi mesh system - both systems maintain extremely limited logs.

Can anyone recommend a cheapish way for me to be able to maintain say a rolling month of logs and to be able to download logs so I can grep them?

Normally I'd recommend syslog for this, but apparently Orbi doesn't support that. Instead, you'll need to get the logs emailed to yourself on a daily basis.
    Syslog capability forword logs to port 514 with RB... - NETGEAR Communities
    Syslog from Orbi LBR20/RBR50 : orbi (reddit.com)

Comment

To be clear I am happy to buy more hardware if that makes the situation easier.

Comment

I have Pi-Hole, a cheap Raspberry Pi will do the job for you (and also help you block a tulip ton of ads)
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          I have Pi-Hole, a cheap Raspberry Pi will do the job for you (and also help you block a tulip ton of ads)
          +1 for Pi-hole.
          Doesn't even need a Raspberry. I run it on a hyper-v VM with Ubuntu.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

So I installed Pi Hole.

I am very impressed at the improvement to my browsing experience but but because it works on DNS queries it only logs the domain, not the full URL.

Any suggestions to what I could use to log all URLs visited? If it can run on the same Raspberry Pi so much the better.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post
              So I installed Pi Hole.

I am very impressed at the improvement to my browsing experience but but because it works on DNS queries it only logs the domain, not the full URL.

Any suggestions to what I could use to log all URLs visited? If it can run on the same Raspberry Pi so much the better.
              you'd need a proxy for that. Or some form of endpoint monitoring.

The Pi can run squid proxy. But you will need SSL inspection to get the URLs of HTTPS sites. That is easy enough if you understand certificates (most devs don't) and can manage your own internal CA.

I have MS Defender for Endpoint Plan 2 (part of M365 licensing). That allows me to query against the URLS based on the Defender Agent sending telemetry to M365. That costs money (I have the MS Action pack and 1 license of E5 security addon).
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
              X