• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Proof of losing money in a crypto wallet

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proof of losing money in a crypto wallet

Is it possible to prove that you have been hacked via your crypto wallet? This isn't me or "a friend" but a family member who has been a very silly boy, due to losing all his impending wedding funds. (I am techy but very unaware of this crypto money, BTC etc).

All the the money was in the crypto wallet he has used this for many years with no issues however he got hacked/scammed a few weeks ago and now it has all gone due to him lumping on HPAD (HarmonyPad?) around 5/6k in total.

Would the proof be able to stand up in court? As I said he was a silly boy and made some big mistakes with some serious consequences.

TIA

qh

He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
    Is it possible to prove that you have been hacked via your crypto wallet? This isn't me or "a friend" but a family member who has been a very silly boy, due to losing all his impending wedding funds. (I am techy but very unaware of this crypto money, BTC etc).

All the the money was in the crypto wallet he has used this for many years with no issues however he got hacked/scammed a few weeks ago and now it has all gone due to him lumping on HPAD (HarmonyPad?) around 5/6k in total.

Would the proof be able to stand up in court? As I said he was a silly boy and made some big mistakes with some serious consequences.

TIA

qh
    The actual transaction can be tracked if he knows the wallet ID. The entire blockchain (assuming BTC or similar) is public.

My question is what is he trying to prove and for what purpose? That is important.
    And even if he did prove he's been scammed, what is the perceived benefit?

As for will it stand up in court? It depends what evidence is available and what you're trying to prove. It's very different trying to prove someone is guilty vs. someone who is innocent (the burden of proof is higher for the former).
    Or is it evidence of mitigating circumstances, which may only require a judge to be happy rather than a jury.

As always. The devil is in the detail, and there's precious little detail here.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

The actual transaction can be tracked if he knows the wallet ID. The entire blockchain (assuming BTC or similar) is public.

My question is what is he trying to prove and for what purpose? That is important.
      And even if he did prove he's been scammed, what is the perceived benefit?

As for will it stand up in court? It depends what evidence is available and what you're trying to prove. It's very different trying to prove someone is guilty vs. someone who is innocent (the burden of proof is higher for the former).
      Or is it evidence of mitigating circumstances, which may only require a judge to be happy rather than a jury.

As always. The devil is in the detail, and there's precious little detail here.
      Apologies, I don't have much details myself but your first sentence had answered my initial question.

It is evidence of mitigating circumstances: i.e. said family member did something very stupid because he lost all his money on HPAD. It may be asked in court "Can you prove you lost all your money?"

Cheers

qh

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post

Apologies, I don't have much details myself but your first sentence had answered my initial question.

It is evidence of mitigating circumstances: i.e. said family member did something very stupid because he lost all his money on HPAD. It may be asked in court "Can you prove you lost all your money?"

Cheers

qh
        The initial transaction to buy the coins from FIAT cash will be the best proof that he bought crypto.
        I'm afraid if he's trying to prove he no longer has access to the money, then the money-launderers favorite method of moving money around isn't going to be much help I suspect.

How can he prove that he hasn't just moved the coins to another wallet he has on a USB stick? He can't. Proving a negative is damn near impossible.
        And if he wants to prove that to get out of a debt then it's not gonna work IMO.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Cheers.

qh

Comment

Working...
          X