• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Azure and Microsoft 365 Business Setup

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Azure and Microsoft 365 Business Setup

I am trying to learn more about Microsoft 365 Business, I have an account with them. A few of my questions are more around DNS but hoping someone can help.

I have setup a custom domain with Azure Active Directory, next I would like to use this same domin with Azure Exchange.

Question 1 Should this be possbile? ( as at the moment when I try to setup Azure Exchange out of the three DNS settings the Microsoft Wizard only the CNAME won't work I get an error. ) I have logged a support call with my host but they seem very busy...

Question 2 I currently have another domain but I am currently using it to host a a RapdiWeaver 8 site with ionos.co.uk
    Is it possible to setup my Microsoft 365 Business account DNS for Azure Active Directory / and Azure Exchange as well as ionos (so my one domain works with all ?).
    Or would I need to create a subdomain with my host...and how will the DNS work for a subdomain?

First off, there's no such thing as "Azure Exchange": it's either Microsoft 365 or Exchange Online. (Not trying to nitpick, but using the other phrases will give you better results in your Google searches.)

For Q1, it's definitely possible to use the same domain for Azure AD and Exchange Online. In fact, Exchange Online requires Azure AD.

For Q2, you can definitely have a public website in the same domain (which lots of organisations do). No need for a subdomain. Wherever you're hosting the DNS records, you just need A/AAAA records for @ and www pointing to the Ionos website and other DNS records pointing to Microsoft's servers (MX, CNAME for autodiscover and DKIM, TXT for SPF).

Comment

Thanks I also emailed MS tech support and they said you can't use a subdomain with Microsoft 365. I don't mind people correcting me it's all part of the learning.

Comment

Originally posted by ukmercenary View Post
        I am trying to learn more about Microsoft 365 Business, I have an account with them. A few of my questions are more around DNS but hoping someone can help.

I have setup a custom domain with Azure Active Directory, next I would like to use this same domin with Azure Exchange.
        Is Azure hosting your domain, or have you simply registered you domain with Azure/O365?

Question 1 Should this be possbile? ( as at the moment when I try to setup Azure Exchange
        sorry what?

out of the three DNS settings the Microsoft Wizard only the CNAME won't work I get an error. ) I have logged a support call with my host but they seem very busy...
        What is the error message?

Question 2 I currently have another domain but I am currently using it to host a a RapdiWeaver 8 site with ionos.co.uk
        Is it possible to setup my Microsoft 365 Business account DNS for Azure Active Directory / and Azure Exchange as well as ionos (so my one domain works with all ?).
        You really need to read up on what DNS is and how it works. It's very difficult to explain with such a poor understanding to start with. Your question makes almost no sense at all.

Or would I need to create a subdomain with my host
        Why? Do you know what a subdomain is? They are very rarely used, and when they are used it is usually for terrible reasons. What do you think you are trying to do with a subdomain?...

and how will the DNS work for a subdomain?
        The same as it always has. It just works. But it does depend who hosts your subdomain (it's a zeparate DNS zone so treated entirely separately except for rare occasions when hosts like GoDaddy use the term incorrectly) and what you want to use your subdomain for (HINT: you probably don't need one at all)

See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Thanks I also emailed MS tech support and they said you can't use a subdomain with Microsoft 365. I don't mind people correcting me it's all part of the learning.
          yes and no. Depends what you mean by a subdomain and what you want to use it for.
          Every O365 tenant uses a sub-domain (<subdomain>.onmicrosoft.com) so your statement is inaccurate in one fashion.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
          X