• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

C# architecture

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post

The more I think about it the more I think you may be going about this the wrong way. You don't have a project with a number of submodules, you really have a number of separate projects all of which require a submodule containing the core code base.
    This is true. The strategy is to extract the core code into a separate submodule so the application can link to whichever version of the core code they want to use. This core stuff has been refactored so it is all under a sub-directory ready to be moved. Once this has been done and everything is settled, the rest of the code base will be split out until everything is separated.
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post

This is true. The strategy is to extract the core code into a separate submodule so the application can link to whichever version of the core code they want to use. This core stuff has been refactored so it is all under a sub-directory ready to be moved. Once this has been done and everything is settled, the rest of the code base will be split out until everything is separated.
      That statement fills me with dread - no problem locking down a particular version of the code base to go with a release / hotfixes but you don't want to end up in a position where an upgrade to a new core version requires weeks of work because they haven't been keeping things up to date.

When discussing how things will play out long term remind them that for sanity purposes alone they need to keep upto date with the latest core version for rapid security fixes if nothing else.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        When discussing how things will play out long term remind them that for sanity purposes alone they need to keep upto date with the latest core version for rapid security fixes if nothing else.
        Good shout
        "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post

I agree that normally this would be the best approach but we have to split the repos out as we are beginning to release multiple products on different schedules so having them all in one along with the core code is causing bigger issues.
          Indeed. Theory often has to take a hike when it sees the projects we've inherited
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
          X