• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

GIT - is it me or is it just really horrible?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cannon999 View Post

It's not about the eliteness
    Originally posted by cannon999 View Post
    you are less productive than I am as a developer.
    Exhibit A.

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
      I can't understand how anyone can find Git complicated for 99.99% of the everyday tasks?

What are you people from the Visual Source Safe era?
      I would imagine most of us here are. I'm still in my 30s and it was used at the first two places I worked ~2003. IIRC we then switched to Perforce/CVS on various projects.

Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        I would imagine most of us here are. I'm still in my 30s and it was used at the first two places I worked ~2003. IIRC we then switched to Perforce/CVS on various projects.
        2003 was 18 years ago. Git was released 16 years ago and has pretty much wiped out the old fashioned centralised version control. I am just amazed people have only started using something that is nearly as old as .Net and older than the invention of the iPhone
        First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

2003 was 18 years ago. Git was released 16 years ago and has pretty much wiped out the old fashioned centralised version control. I am just amazed people have only started using something that is nearly as old as .Net and older than the invention of the iPhone
          Companies finally realising that it's better value to go cheaper on software tools than cheaper on developers?

When money wasn't an issue, top tools with good local devs.
          Money went tight after the crash, offshore the dev. Realised the offshored devs couldn't handle it so dropped them but had to go with cheap tools to justify bringing devs back onshore perhaps.

If you've been a constant Microsoft house, logically you'd use TFS and Azure DevOps because they integrate well with Microsoft deployments.

Tortoise SVN was fine when I used that years ago - git is just a different mindset to TFS/DevOps if you've not used it.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Anything that doesn't integrate with Git by default is not going to last long.

Locking and checking out files doesn't really cut it with a globally distributed and large development team making constant commits with continuous deployment...
            First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Anything that doesn't integrate with Git by default is not going to last long.

Locking and checking out files doesn't really cut it with a globally distributed and large development team making constant commits with continuous deployment...
              Yeah, no idea how Microsoft are still in business with their tools.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I've been using Git for years, but I'm still from the era of VSS. You're right in the last few years it has basically become the de facto standard though. I still see SVN and TFS used but typically for isolated things rather than code-bases.

Remember when there were competing dVCS platforms though? Mercurial was big for a while and I think there was another one quite widely used. Git was probably the least user-friendly but had the momentum from the OSS side - I remember reading git was not actually designed to be used directly by developers for day-to-day coding, in the same way C was written as a systems programming language (I'm from the era of C too) not a general purpose language.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post

If you've been a constant Microsoft house, logically you'd use TFS and Azure DevOps because they integrate well with Microsoft deployments.

Tortoise SVN was fine when I used that years ago - git is just a different mindset to TFS/DevOps if you've not used it.
                  DevOps now integrates pretty well with Git, as does VS of course - actually the git features in VS are really well done from my usage.

Comment

Sorry to burst your bubble but I've been contracting for 15 years (and perm for many years prior to that) and this is the first time I've had a client who used Git.

I've worked with a fair few big corporates over the years as well as smaller outfits. I'm sure Git is very popular but don't overlook the fact that at lot of places are still using "old-school" source control.

Again, not all software projects are large, globally distributed affairs. I can certainly see the benefits of a Git-type system in those circumstances, but many companies will have smaller localised code-bases that don't require that type of functionality. Hence why there are a lot of devs around who have not encountered Git before.
                    Last edited by Dark Black; 10 June 2021, 16:49.
                    Do what thou wilt

Comment

Oh how I miss Frisbeenet.
                      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                      X