• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trigger an infra red signal via wifi, any ideas?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trigger an infra red signal via wifi, any ideas?

Hey all,

just on the off-chance, here goes.

I have 5 blinds in my den that I can control via a remote control. I can open/close individually or as a group. Only issue is the den is an external building, the blinds cover the entrance. So I can't get into the den until the blind is up, which is pain when its cold or raining.

So, my idea is to have a unit in the den that can close/open the blinds but triggered via wifi. Anyone know of a device that can do this and any ideas how to capture the infra red signals used by the remote? I'm happy to do a bit of messing about though the more complete solution would be better.

Cheers

The infra-red receiver is inside the building? You can't put one outside and trigger it using the remote from the back door?

Comment

I looked at something like this for my golf screen. Not with the infra thing but the best solution is a remote (wifi or phone) garage door opener. They are pretty cheap and some have app based functionality as well. It generally comes with a box that sits somewhere and just a few power out cables. It might need a bit of amateur electronics to integrate the power from the door opener in to the blinds. If there is anyway to bypass or wire the garage controller in parallel then you can control them by phone.

It's a standard controller but I found most are tagged as garage openers so was easier to find.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Oh.. just remembered. I installed an electric awning last week and put a unit in to allow it to be operated by a phob but they did offer a wifi/phone solution. It was a tad expensive compared to the garage ones on amazon but is well documented. Has an up and down output and things like that. It's here and there is a data sheet available.
        As I say very expensive for what it is compared to the amazon cheapness but it's fully documented etc.

https://www.primrose-awnings.co.uk/s...wn_control_tbl

https://www.primrose-awnings.co.uk/P...trol_kit_2.pdf
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

you can get an IR transmitter for Raspberry PI.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I used to use something similar when I had a Sky box inside a cupboard.

TNP IR Infrared Remote Control Extender Repeater Cable: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              The infra-red receiver is inside the building? You can't put one outside and trigger it using the remote from the back door?
              Each blind has its own receiver and needs direct line of site. So its fine when im inside the room. That's why i thought something I could trigger via wifi inside the room would be good.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Oh.. just remembered. I installed an electric awning last week and put a unit in to allow it to be operated by a phob but they did offer a wifi/phone solution. It was a tad expensive compared to the garage ones on amazon but is well documented. Has an up and down output and things like that. It's here and there is a data sheet available.
                As I say very expensive for what it is compared to the amazon cheapness but it's fully documented etc.

https://www.primrose-awnings.co.uk/s...wn_control_tbl

https://www.primrose-awnings.co.uk/P...trol_kit_2.pdf
                This, this just could be the ticket. It can control multiple devices, I'm guessing i would just need the wavelength / signal that is sent for each blind.

Edit. Reading further it may not meet my needs but it's the type of thing, will search for something more configurable on these lines.
                Last edited by woohoo; 25 March 2021, 15:59.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                  you can get an IR transmitter for Raspberry PI.
                  I looked at this and was my initial approach but I think it would become a heck of a project in the end. Might be my last approach if I couldnt find a more rounded product.

Comment

Originally posted by anonymouse View Post
                    I used to use something similar when I had a Sky box inside a cupboard.

TNP IR Infrared Remote Control Extender Repeater Cable: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
                    I'm afraid an extender probably isnt the way to go, it's an external stone building.

Comment

Working...
                    X