• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Get data from an Iframe on a local webpage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get data from an Iframe on a local webpage

Trying to get some data from an iframe and used the simple method in this link:

How to get HTML content of an iFrame using JavaScript ? - GeeksforGeeks

Works fine when the pages are on the website but, as it's just my mappy thing for personal use, I'd like it to work on my PC without having to upload it. However, I get "Blocked a frame with origin "null" from accessing a cross-origin frame"

Any way round this? Cheers.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

Works fine when the pages are on the website but, as it's just my mappy thing for personal use, I'd like it to work on my PC without having to upload it. However, I get "Blocked a frame with origin "null" from accessing a cross-origin frame"

Looks like it's being blocked at the browser level. You'd need to disable the same-origin policy in your browser settings to allow it, but thats generally a Bad Idea since it applies to all websites you visit, not just the ones you own, and exposes you to all sorts of potential nasties.

EDIT : Can be done in all current browsers except Edge, if you are using that you're out of luck (but safe).
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

See if can relax the browser security settings for local intranet sites (or deemed safe sites) so it works as you need while still protecting against dodgy external websites you may visit.

Alternatively install a browser for local use only so can use in isolation of the properly set up main browser(s). At one time you could install multiple versions of Internet Explorer but not sure if modern browsers allow that so can use an older version for local stuff while keeping the latest version up to date security wise.
      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Cheers chaps.

thats generally a Bad Idea since it applies to all websites you visit, not just the ones you own, and exposes you to all sorts of potential nasties
        Yeh, saw that solution but was dubious for that reason.

Alternatively install a browser for local use only so can use in isolation of the properly set up main browser(s
        Got Brave, Opera & Firefox installed but never use them. May try those.

Wonder why pages in same local folder are a problem. Annoying. Even pro developers may initially use local files for testing.
        Last edited by xoggoth; 18 November 2020, 15:44.
        bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Seems to work in Firefox. May be out of date version tho. Googling "same-origin policy" brings up quite a few interesting things.
          Last edited by xoggoth; 18 November 2020, 16:06.
          bloggoth

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

You could setup a reverse proxy with url mapping.
            You'd need a local www server running on your pc to host your local js (apache could do both of the above).

Then when accessing the proxy, your browser would see both targets ( the external website & your local website) under the same domain and allow the resource requests.
            Don't believe it, until you see it!

Comment

Cheers. Probably not worth the hassle for my purposes, it's only a minor feature I'm trying to add, but I'll have a look.
              bloggoth

Comment

Working...
              X