• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Vpn Network masking for different country

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vpn Network masking for different country

With all this work from home I ve not seen much by way of vpns that mask where you are and also gps overriding

My situation is that I am outside the Uk and use my iPhone which I tether my company laptop to using my personal hotspot connection

I want to return back to the Uk and continue working but the company insists I stay in their “country”. Think of Germany as an example

I’ve installed a vpn client on my iPhone which does spoof the ip but gps tracking shows my correct position and I know they have this installed on the corporate network

Is there anything else I can do to overcome this and hide my privacy

A beer for someone who can help

Edit. I’d like a way to show my ip as being in Germany but also my location
    Last edited by NowPermOutsideUK; 11 October 2020, 21:00.

Simple. Pay for a broadband connection in your chalet, not a mobile phone one.
    Then set up a couple of Cisco Meraki boxes, one plugged in to “Germany” and the other connected to a broadband router in the UK.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

When in the UK you bring a german SIM card and use this as hot spot in your iphone. This gives you german IP.
      I am not sure their vpn server can read your iphone's gps (if you connect to corp. vpn). Even so, just remove the vpn client app's permission to use gps on the phone. Or the hot spot app's.
      Last edited by anim; 11 October 2020, 23:22.

Comment

Surfshark VPN has a GPS masking facility as part of their service.

I don't recommend what you are trying to achieve, however, since it breaches the terms of your contract.
        I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
          Surfshark VPN has a GPS masking facility as part of their service.

I don't recommend what you are trying to achieve, however, since it breaches the terms of your contract.

Not only that, but if the OP works for a company that is keen on security, they will spot cheap VPN software a mile off, and may possibly see it as a hacking attempt.

Between that, having to get a private test 72 hours before flying and the risk of having to quarantine for 2 weeks, it would be better to say to the company that the OP needs to make a trip back to the UK, take it as time off, do no work but still get paid, then return from the holiday and get back to work.
          If the OP is talking about a long term trip to the UK, they'd be better to find a new job where they weren't deliberately and knowingly in breach of contract.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Germany and data access from outside Germany when told not to do it

Good luck with that as it won't just be breach of contract you need to worry about I believe it would be regarded by both the company and the German police as criminal act (shall we just say what I know about Germany Privacy is enough to know avoid working with Germany firms outside Germany until you have official signoff from someone on the data side of things).
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Turn the GPS function off....
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
              X