• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Database rebuild question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Database rebuild question

I have a large MS Access database (YES - I KNOW!) that started out as a quick and dirty short term solution with a limited shelf life.
    This database handles various business interests and functions and has grown exponentially and is now multi user, not just me as originally planned and creaking at the seams. It is currently 6Gb with external files or attachments making up another 5GB

It currently handles the following: I have included rough numbers of items
    Property (15 + related info, tenancies, tenants, comms, notes, maintenance certificates etc, some historic)
    CRM, 40000 items (Firms, people, notes, contracts, documentation, lots of historic, also used for mailing lists, subscribers, sends a newsletter to 6,000 subscribers twice a month)
    Timesheets/invoices + related items- 2000 items
    Assets - 300 items, some historic, related notes
    Products - 16,000, plus notes.
    Advertising (5000 items).
    Businesses/Deals (6000 items, lots of detail in each record) - Do not confuse with CRM above these are completely different.
    General admin tables etc

It obviously needs a rebuild.
    As a now ex IT Guy I may do this work myself. I also have a nice HP Proliant here to stick it on. This server is clean amd can have any OS put on it.
    The big question is what to rebuild it in?
    Any suguestions from the panel?
    Former IPSE member
    My Website

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post
    I have a large MS Access database (YES - I KNOW!) that started out as a quick and dirty short term solution with a limited shelf life.
    This database handles various business interests and functions and has grown exponentially and is now multi user, not just me as originally planned and creaking at the seams. It is currently 6Gb with external files or attachments making up another 5GB

It currently handles the following: I have included rough numbers of items
    Property (15 + related info, tenancies, tenants, comms, notes, maintenance certificates etc, some historic)
    CRM, 40000 items (Firms, people, notes, contracts, documentation, lots of historic, also used for mailing lists, subscribers, sends a newsletter to 6,000 subscribers twice a month)
    Timesheets/invoices + related items- 2000 items
    Assets - 300 items, some historic, related notes
    Products - 16,000, plus notes.
    Advertising (5000 items).
    Businesses/Deals (6000 items, lots of detail in each record) - Do not confuse with CRM above these are completely different.
    General admin tables etc

It obviously needs a rebuild.
    As a now ex IT Guy I may do this work myself. I also have a nice HP Proliant here to stick it on. This server is clean amd can have any OS put on it.
    The big question is what to rebuild it in?
    Any suguestions from the panel?
    Hey Court, are you using this as a CRM to support your business? Maybe look at some of the open source CRM systems if so?, a.
    ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
    Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

What is the problem?

Why do you think 6GB is large?

Comment

Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post
        What is the problem?

All processing in an Access database occurs on the desktop. Fine for smaller, single user applications (e.g. cataloguing CDs, or favourite recipes), but it's a total PITA for anything else. Best avoided IMHO.
        ---

Former member of IPSE.

---

---

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
          Hey Court, are you using this as a CRM to support your business? Maybe look at some of the open source CRM systems if so?, a.
          Its supporting more than one business.

I had SuiteCRM (its still on the web server) but I was having issues with listing the businesses. Some of those customers crossed over more than one business. I ended up shifting everything over.
          Also open source CRM whilst good isn't great for managing property!
          Former IPSE member
          My Website

Comment

What is the problem?

For Access - yes!
            Former IPSE member
            My Website

Comment

...Also open source CRM whilst good isn't great for managing property!
              Interesting. What were the issues?
              ---

Former member of IPSE.

---

---

Comment

For Access - yes!
                I have not used Access in ages. RAM is cheap these days, would not slapping 2-4 x times db size help eg. 16 or 32GB?

Comment

I have not used Access in ages. RAM is cheap these days, would not slapping 2-4 x times db size help eg. 16 or 32GB?
                  You're the sort of chap(ette?) that uses a butter knife to change a plug, aren't you?

#OneForTheOldtimers
                  ---

Former member of IPSE.

---

---

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
                    You're the sort of chap(ette?) that uses a butter knife to change a plug, aren't you?

#OneForTheOldtimers
                    If RAM is cheaper than an hour of my time and gets job done...

Comment

Working...
                    X