• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying Kindle books through your business?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying Kindle books through your business?

I want to buy a technical book on Kindle, and I have an Amazon business account so this would mean I can reclaim the VAT and avoid mucking around claiming it as an expense.

But it appears I cannot buy it on my business Amazon account and deliver it to my personal Kindle or any device using my personal Amazon account.
    I _could_ use the Household feature but my wife and I already use that and you cannot have more than 2 adults.

It seems kind of broken - I thought business/personal accounts were more tightly integrated - but can anyone let me know if I'm correct, or is there some way around it?

More a matter of principle but frustrating.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

I would expect a business and personal account to be entirely separate. They are separate legal entities after all.

I think you're engaging in a spot of wishful thinking.

If buying the book is truly a business expense then so would purchasing a Kindle device to read it on. Just assign it to your business account.

Or, install the Kindle app on your phone / tablet and log in to it with your business account when you want to read that book and swap log in when you want to read something else.

Comment

If you log out, all your local content is lost. Pita.

On your personal account you can gift someone an ebook, maybe that's an option to explore

Otherwise I'll just buy it personally and expense it, not worth the time. But I am right that means the option to reclaim VAT is lost?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        If you log out, all your local content is lost. Pita.

On your personal account you can gift someone an ebook, maybe that's an option to explore

Otherwise I'll just buy it personally and expense it, not worth the time. But I am right that means the option to reclaim VAT is lost?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
        1) What does your accountant say
        2) You have a vat receipt from a shop with no details on it - can you expense that?
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

What's the worst that can happen if you buy it on your personal kindle using your company account?

Comment

Why would you want a business text book on your personal kindle? Shirley it's not wholly for business and then thus not claimable
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
              What's the worst that can happen if you buy it on your personal kindle using your company account?
              You can't. Your kindle is tied to one Amazon account at any time.

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              Why would you want a business text book on your personal kindle? Shirley it's not wholly for business and then thus not claimable
              Because a Kindle is how you read a Kindle book. Are you saying I can't put a business textbook on a bookshelf with my personal books? Or read a business book with my personal reading glasses on? Or look at an e-book on my personal laptop?

More seriously, can't my company buy me personally a technical book for me to use doing my job? Or should a business strictly own its books and allow developers to access them in a library? It seems unlikely anyone would care and we're in the wrong forum now but hey ho.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                2) You have a vat receipt from a shop with no details on it - can you expense that?
                I honestly have no idea. I have probably claimed about 3 things on expenses in the 12 years I've been contracting, and most of that time I was on the FRS anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  You can't. Your kindle is tied to one Amazon account at any time.
                  Sure you can have multiple payment methods, perhaps I've remember incorrectly.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                    Sure you can have multiple payment methods, perhaps I've remember incorrectly.
                    You can - my business card is attached to my amazon account for just such purchases.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X