• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"Smart" homes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've done extensive doorbell research for my GF. But I cannot speak from experience.

The Amazon "Ring" series have lots of reviews along the lines of "bell rings too late and caller has long gone". A doorbell that doesn't do the basics, like ring when someone presses it, is a fail in my book. I've persuaded her not to buy one.

The "Nest Hello" doorbell looks like the one to get, but GF isn't willing to spend £229 or more plus installation. Can't say I blame her! Installation is easy if you have an existing mains powered doorbell, but if not, it's not.

Please post back your experience once you're up and running

Comment

Don't Buy Anyone a Ring Camera

Comment

my doorbell goes 'bing bong' and i go to the door and see who's there.
        my heating is on a simple timer.
        i open curtains/windows/etc manually
        i can switch channels/turn tvs on and off/play music etc, all manually.
        what's the feckin problem again?

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
          People are lazy

Comment

Me to except I have a wife to do it for me...smart homes, load of old bollocks
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
              Me to except I have a wife to do it for me...smart homes, load of old bollocks
              huawei???

Comment

Have some Alex Echo devices dotted around the house, connected to Hive and wireless lighting and to smart plugs (for example, Christmas lights).

Ring doorbell also links to Alexa i.e. it rings on the Echo devices. I believe you can also use it on the Echo Show so that you can see who's outside without having to use your phone.

For me the whole smart home thing is about voice controlling rather than automation.

Comment

huawei???
                  I’m fine thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                      I've done extensive doorbell research for my GF. But I cannot speak from experience.

The Amazon "Ring" series have lots of reviews along the lines of "bell rings too late and caller has long gone". A doorbell that doesn't do the basics, like ring when someone presses it, is a fail in my book. I've persuaded her not to buy one.

The "Nest Hello" doorbell looks like the one to get, but GF isn't willing to spend £229 or more plus installation. Can't say I blame her! Installation is easy if you have an existing mains powered doorbell, but if not, it's not.

Please post back your experience once you're up and running
                      My experience shows that this happens when the WiFi connectivity to the doorbell is poor. In my case when someone has knocked or switched off the downstairs extender and it goes to the main router upstairs, which is too far for reliable connection.

Originally posted by Anonimouse View Post
                      The Neighbours program and data sharing is only in the US (so far).

For me also the "smart" home stuff is for voice control and ease of management, not so much for automation.

The thermostat is Tado, It's brilliant German engineering. Simplistic design and fantastic support for self-install. Also the individual TRVs allow finely grained setups in each room, rather than 1-2 zones in the whole home. Not really using the voice control as there is almost always someone at home and the missus loves it toasty, but being able to change the schedule with few clicks on the app, instead of 100 or so button presses in obscure pattern on the original Danfoss "dump" thermostat is a blessing.

Lights are a mix of Phillips Hue, cheaper Ikea Tradfri (through the Hue bridge) in the bedrooms, where the sockets are B22/E27 and Aeotec nano switch in the rest of the house where the bulbs are GU10s and it's cheaper and easier to manage with a smart switches and dumb bulbs, rather than dozens of individual bulbs. The ability to dim the lights or switch them off while laying on the sofa/bed or your hands are busy etc. is great. Also you never have to worry about "did I turn off all the lights when I left home"

Home "security" is down to Ring video doorbell and a couple of Blink cameras.

The voice assistant of choice is Alexa (2 Show, 1 Spot, 1 Dot). The voice shopping list management is a real time saver.

Overall happy with the setup.

Comment

Working...
                      X