• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • FREE workshop: Preparing contractors for Autumn : Weds 29th Sep at 7.15pm. More details here.

Upgrading the storage on a Dell R710

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Upgrading the storage on a Dell R710

    I have a home lab with a Dell R710 running ESXI (free), its not quite run out of storage but it's got to the stage where I need to think what I do next.

    Its got a PERC6/i raid controller and 6 x 2TB drives in a raid I can't remember (I think RAID 6 as I have usable capacity about 7.28TB)

    Question 1;

    AIUI PERC6 is generally limited to 2TB Drives, so I will need to replace this with a H700 RAID controller, if I do this will it break the existing RAID or would it just continue working and all data remain.

    If it doesn't break it

    Question 2;

    I assume I'd just replace each drive one by one and wait for the raid to rebuild on the new drive before moving onto the next.

    Question 3;

    Once this is done I assume I would need to expand the volume in the Raid controller and then within ESXI before it's available to my VMs?
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

    I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

    #2
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    I have a home lab with a Dell R710 running ESXI (free), its not quite run out of storage but it's got to the stage where I need to think what I do next.

    Its got a PERC6/i raid controller and 6 x 2TB drives in a raid I can't remember (I think RAID 6 as I have usable capacity about 7.28TB)

    Question 1;

    AIUI PERC6 is generally limited to 2TB Drives, so I will need to replace this with a H700 RAID controller, if I do this will it break the existing RAID or would it just continue working and all data remain.

    If it doesn't break it

    Question 2;

    I assume I'd just replace each drive one by one and wait for the raid to rebuild on the new drive before moving onto the next.

    Question 3;

    Once this is done I assume I would need to expand the volume in the Raid controller and then within ESXI before it's available to my VMs?
    Pass - personally I would be looking at starting again - there is a reason why most NAS use JBOD's to avoid this type of issue.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

    Comment


      #3
      The RAID controller replacement it's easy-peasy - You can migrate the current virtual disk, just replace the RAID controller and from it's configuration select "import foreign configuration".

      For the upgrade with larger disks, it's not that straight forward, some controllers won't allow you to extend the VD or create a 2nd VD on the same disk. Check if the H700 will allow.

      In your place I would just go for a NAS that supports iSCSI or straight out NFS for the ESXi Datastores. Even 1Gbps network is fine for homelab.

      Comment


        #4
        OP, that is a hell of a lot of data.

        I'd be thinking a little more fundementally, like "do I really need all that data on a PC".
        Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
          OP, that is a hell of a lot of data.

          I'd be thinking a little more fundementally, like "do I really need all that data on a PC".
          Did you even read the OP? It's not a PC it's a server running VMs. And if you think 8TB is hell of a lot of data, better stay clear of It'''s A Digital Disease!

          8TB is easily filled with personal DVD collection, i'm at about 4TB and i'm not even hoarding.

          Comment


            #6
            Dell RAID controllers are always backwards compatible with RAID containers crated in older RAID controllers, especially comparing a Perc 6 to a Perc H700.

            You can replace the raid controller and import the foreign disk fine. The problem most likely you will face is actually the physical SAS connector on the PERC6 being the SFF-8484 per plug instead of being SFF-8087. You will need a SFF-8087 cable on your SAS backpane and the other end to the H700 also using SFF-8087.



            https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-017c...=2&imbypass=on

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by sal View Post
              Did you even read the OP? It's not a PC it's a server running VMs. And if you think 8TB is hell of a lot of data, better stay clear of It'''s A Digital Disease!

              8TB is easily filled with personal DVD collection, i'm at about 4TB and i'm not even hoarding.
              Yes I did read the OP.
              I still maintain 8TB is a lot of data in one place. YMMV.
              Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                Yes I did read the OP.
                I still maintain 8TB is a lot of data in one place. YMMV.
                Aye, raid is not a backup.
                Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

                Comment

                Working...
                X