• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Upgrading the storage on a Dell R710"

Collapse

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    Yes I did read the OP.
    I still maintain 8TB is a lot of data in one place. YMMV.
    Aye, raid is not a backup.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    Did you even read the OP? It's not a PC it's a server running VMs. And if you think 8TB is hell of a lot of data, better stay clear of It'''s A Digital Disease!

8TB is easily filled with personal DVD collection, i'm at about 4TB and i'm not even hoarding.
    Yes I did read the OP.
    I still maintain 8TB is a lot of data in one place. YMMV.

Leave a comment:

• techperson
    replied
    Dell RAID controllers are always backwards compatible with RAID containers crated in older RAID controllers, especially comparing a Perc 6 to a Perc H700.

You can replace the raid controller and import the foreign disk fine. The problem most likely you will face is actually the physical SAS connector on the PERC6 being the SFF-8484 per plug instead of being SFF-8087. You will need a SFF-8087 cable on your SAS backpane and the other end to the H700 also using SFF-8087.

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-017c...=2&imbypass=on

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    OP, that is a hell of a lot of data.

I'd be thinking a little more fundementally, like "do I really need all that data on a PC".
    Did you even read the OP? It's not a PC it's a server running VMs. And if you think 8TB is hell of a lot of data, better stay clear of It'''s A Digital Disease!

8TB is easily filled with personal DVD collection, i'm at about 4TB and i'm not even hoarding.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    OP, that is a hell of a lot of data.

I'd be thinking a little more fundementally, like "do I really need all that data on a PC".

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    The RAID controller replacement it's easy-peasy - You can migrate the current virtual disk, just replace the RAID controller and from it's configuration select "import foreign configuration".

For the upgrade with larger disks, it's not that straight forward, some controllers won't allow you to extend the VD or create a 2nd VD on the same disk. Check if the H700 will allow.

In your place I would just go for a NAS that supports iSCSI or straight out NFS for the ESXi Datastores. Even 1Gbps network is fine for homelab.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    I have a home lab with a Dell R710 running ESXI (free), its not quite run out of storage but it's got to the stage where I need to think what I do next.

Its got a PERC6/i raid controller and 6 x 2TB drives in a raid I can't remember (I think RAID 6 as I have usable capacity about 7.28TB)

Question 1;

AIUI PERC6 is generally limited to 2TB Drives, so I will need to replace this with a H700 RAID controller, if I do this will it break the existing RAID or would it just continue working and all data remain.

If it doesn't break it

Question 2;

I assume I'd just replace each drive one by one and wait for the raid to rebuild on the new drive before moving onto the next.

Question 3;

Once this is done I assume I would need to expand the volume in the Raid controller and then within ESXI before it's available to my VMs?
    Pass - personally I would be looking at starting again - there is a reason why most NAS use JBOD's to avoid this type of issue.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    started a topic Upgrading the storage on a Dell R710

Upgrading the storage on a Dell R710

I have a home lab with a Dell R710 running ESXI (free), its not quite run out of storage but it's got to the stage where I need to think what I do next.

Its got a PERC6/i raid controller and 6 x 2TB drives in a raid I can't remember (I think RAID 6 as I have usable capacity about 7.28TB)

Question 1;

AIUI PERC6 is generally limited to 2TB Drives, so I will need to replace this with a H700 RAID controller, if I do this will it break the existing RAID or would it just continue working and all data remain.

If it doesn't break it

Question 2;

I assume I'd just replace each drive one by one and wait for the raid to rebuild on the new drive before moving onto the next.

Question 3;

Once this is done I assume I would need to expand the volume in the Raid controller and then within ESXI before it's available to my VMs?

Working...
X