• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is there an easy way to monitor my internet connection and log issues?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there an easy way to monitor my internet connection and log issues?

I'm reasonably happy with our PlusNet fibre service but typically once every two days it will drop for 1-2 minutes while we're watching Netflix or something - maybe I note my phone isn't working and know 30s later the TV stream will stop.

It struck me it could be going down far more often and I wouldn't notice, unless I was using Skype or RDP for work at just the wrong time.

Is there a handy way to monitor for service outages or even to log service speed throughout the day? Of course it would require an always-on internet-connected device but I typically leave my Mac on 24/7. Or, could I even do it on my router? If I had a NAS, could I do it on that easily?

Thanks for any advice.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

1st worlds problems

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

If you notice it happen when watching TV, get onto your router admin page and look for diagnostics tools.
      If there is a tracert tool, try 8.8.8.8 (google DNS)
      If you can show 100% packet loss, then screenshot it and use it with raising support incidents.
      This should allow you to skip any of the noddy checks they ask you to on your laptop and TV (Is Wifi switched on etc..)

You could support this with a continuous ping trace from your Mac, pinging 8.8.8.8.. get it to write to a file.
      Inspect the file after a day or two and look for patterns.

I had this recently, and my router was on the blink so got it swapped.

Comment

quick and dirty Powershell 1-liner:

test-connection google.com -count 999999 -delay 1 -Verbose | format-table @{n='TimeStamp';e={Get-Date}},Address, ProtocolAddress, ResponseTime | out-file c:\temp\test-connection.txt -append

Edit:

Run the same in parallel swapping "google.com" with your router internal IP (The default gateway IP on your devices) to compare and eliminate the issue being your WiFi/router. Cheapo routers (like most provider devices) will tulip their pants with more than 10ish devices connected to the WiFi, if you have any Smart home tech you are over that for sure (I'm sitting at about 40)
        Last edited by sal; 18 October 2019, 14:51.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
          1st worlds problems
          1st world problems with monopoly from most providers.
          In Romania, 3rd world country, internet is way faster and significantly less expensive.
          And No, EU does not pay for it.

FIBERLINK 1000
          40 LEI = 7.23£
          940 / 450 Mbps
          viteză maximă download/upload (max speed)

850 / 400 Mbps
          viteză medie download/upload (average speed)

200 / 100 Mbps
          viteză minimă download/upload (min speed)
          Last edited by GigiBronz; 19 October 2019, 16:59.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
            1st world problems with monopoly from most providers.
            In Romania, 3rd world country, internet is way faster and significantly less expensive.
            And No, EU does not pay for it.

FIBERLINK 1000
            40 LEI = 7.23£
            940 / 450 Mbps
            viteză maximă download/upload (max speed)

850 / 400 Mbps
            viteză medie download/upload (average speed)

200 / 100 Mbps
            viteză minimă download/upload (min speed)
            And how does that info benefit the OP?
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              And how does that info benefit the OP?
              Sorry, it is true. Just venting my frustration after closing a Virgin Media broadband 100mps that went to £50pm from £28.5pm after first year. They wanted 1y min contract to keep the discount. Went for 4G for now, 30d contract £18.50 so i can feck off in a heartbeat when brexit hits the fan.

I believe people should just revolt and stop buying their crap. As it was said in the other thread, services are going down the drain.

Related to topic, i use pfsense and a dell t30 with vmware(might work on an old laptop etc), haven’t tried but i can’t imagine it not be able to monitor ISP downtime , there might be cheaper solutions. And even if you have the information, you might not be able to so much with it. ISP would just not give a ...about it. Speak with them than have a see what else is aroud...
              Last edited by GigiBronz; 19 October 2019, 21:12.

Comment

so i can feck off in a heartbeat when brexit heats the fan.

oh, Please.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                  oh, Please.
                  brexiteers gonna brexiteer

Comment

brexiteers gonna brexiteer
                    ?????
                    in english? maybe?

Comment

Working...