• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Airpods or similar

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or I could compromise on a wireless earphone set - a wire between the ear pieces but still BT to the phone. I use them out gardening and stuff mostly.

Interesting to know that proper noise cancelling is appearing though - now that I would expect to pay a lot for because it always has been expensive.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I have Bose soundsport earbuds - which are great, I tend to run/cycle with Aftershokz bone conduction headphones though which might also be worth a look - I just got a set you can even swim with. Depends on whether you want to hear ambient noise or not I guess.
      And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Tried the airpods and they are rubbish. Uncomfortable and branding over form. Designed to look like apple stuff, and not designed to actually fit your ear.

Galaxy buds on the other hand are fantastic, fit well, comfortable, good sound and can go for a run and not worry about them falling out.

Saying that, my brothers Anker ones £40 sound as good as most high end stuff, so money is not everything.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Or I could compromise on a wireless earphone set - a wire between the ear pieces but still BT to the phone. I use them out gardening and stuff mostly.

Interesting to know that proper noise cancelling is appearing though - now that I would expect to pay a lot for because it always has been expensive.
          I use LG HBS-910 They go under my shirt collar so nearly invisible and the battery life is great. Sound is OK for earbuds, I use them for audio books mostly, not music, so not a huge priority.

I can't stand the hard plastic earbuds of either the earpods or airpods by Apple, so not really an option for me.

Comment

Originally posted by RyanDS View Post
            Tried the airpods and they are rubbish. Uncomfortable and branding over form. Designed to look like apple stuff, and not designed to actually fit your ear.
            Well I've seen runners wearing them, so I guess they fit some people very well

Comment

Airpods fit the majority of western ears, but it is indeed a flaw that they don't offer multiple fitment shape options.

The most important thing with bluetooth audio is the supported stream codecs. The older default bluetooth option was SBC, horrendous for music.

The only codec, originally by apple but now open, is AAC. aptX is also the backup option if AAC is not supported by the source device. Most android handsets and obviously iphones support AAC. aptX is good enough too.

Connect your bluetooth headphones to your laptop/mac and use advanced options to see just what streaming codec is being used. On a mac play audio, hold the left-alt button and then click on the bluetooth icon in the system tray, find your device and the codec will be shown.

Those who have bad hearing will be quite happy with SBC, but the quality is truly dire. I personally have not seen any tiny headphones come up to the quality of the apple earpods but would advise to buy any from the internet, rather than a shop, as you can send them back with spurious technical complaints rather than haggle to return them if they aren't good enough for you.

Comment

I've decided I'm going to give some cheaper ones another go - I'll up to 2 more - and if the problems I see are common I'll try something higher price since I can return easily.

It seems that general build/quality issues aside, the problem is maintaining decent connectivity between the buds. On the cheaper units (maybe all units?) one bug pairs with the phone and then the two buds link using some protocol. The most annoying thing I experience is one bud dropping out for a moment, and I believe it is always the secondary/slave one.
                Makes me think it is technologically quite hard to do whatever they are doing, making one bud split the signal and beam a channel to the other one? Perhaps more expensive ones use a more powerful chip or something - does anyone here know more about the technical side?

To those with more up-market products, do you experience this issue at all? And do you still have a master bud or are the two identical?
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                X