• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why go for top of the range desktop v Intel NUC or similar ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is expensive, but I really like OSX, and my current iMac is from ~2012 and still going strong. When I used to use PC stuff before I'd be upgrading every 2-3 years. I figure if I was a plumber I'd want the proper tools for the job....
    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

If you want OSX then PC is really not an option. In terms of reliability the last 3-4 years Macbooks are riddled with technical faults and recalls and you only get 1 year of warranty unless you pay even more for dubious apple care and still face major delays of having non-base config box fixed/replaced. Apple is not what it used to be, at least when it comes to laptops. Maybe Mac mini is more reliable or maybe it isn't, just couldn't stomach the risk when the Dell XPS came with 5 years, next business day, on-site warranty too, which was one of the deciding factors to be honest.

Comment

Fair enough. I've got a reasonably recent MBP and I've not hit any problems with it, but I do know people who've had problems with duff keyboards. I'm comparatively very time poor but have available funds in the company, so cost is lower down the list for me than convenience. That being said, I'll upgrade the RAM myself and there's no way I'm paying £1k for a monitor stand!
        And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

If you're going to plug in external drives and external GPUs then why go for a small form factor? You're just going to end up with a PC spread across your desk anyway
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            If you're going to plug in external drives and external GPUs then why go for a small form factor? You're just going to end up with a PC spread across your desk anyway
            Because Apple don't offer any other alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
              Because Apple don't offer any other alternative.
              Can't you get a decent GPU in some of the iMacs?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Comment

They’re all laptop variants vs full fat. Also I’m currently considering an ultra wide display. iMac ties you to a specific form factor.

Before anyone chimes in about hackintosh, yes I could go that way, but I just want the thing to work. I don’t want to be tinkering constantly.

Comment

With you there.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                  X