• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New computer - Mac or PC?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for whoever reminded me about Lenovo. I always forget they are the ones who do THinkPad, which seems to be one of the most well-respected lines for business-ware?

I happened to see a few on Amazon refurbished the other day; seems like £5-600 bracket can get almost my exact desired spec. Ideally of course 16Gb is preferable but I can live without it, especially if upgrading is feasible?

Does anyone know if docking stations can be obtained more cost-effectively? Are they all proprietary or are there 3rd-party versions - and does every laptop have a different one or are they common across makes? It's a big extra cost but potentially a huge benefit.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Does anyone know if docking stations can be obtained more cost-effectively? Are they all proprietary or are there 3rd-party versions - and does every laptop have a different one or are they common across makes? It's a big extra cost but potentially a huge benefit.
      The USB docking stations are by their nature universal though some come with USB-C so check what fits the laptop you're interested in.

My last client ditched the proprietary Lenovo docking stations for USB to allow hot desking without the aggro of supporting different models of laptop with various docking capabilities.

If you're looking at refurbished laptops then there are also refurbished docking stations that match the laptop, which may be cheaper than a new USB based one. Depends what connectivity you want from the docking station such as multiple high res display support.
      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
        The USB docking stations are by their nature universal though some come with USB-C so check what fits the laptop you're interested in.

My last client ditched the proprietary Lenovo docking stations for USB to allow hot desking without the aggro of supporting different models of laptop with various docking capabilities.

If you're looking at refurbished laptops then there are also refurbished docking stations that match the laptop, which may be cheaper than a new USB based one. Depends what connectivity you want from the docking station such as multiple high res display support.
        Oh wow, I must be behind the times - I'd never heard of USB docking. Does that handle display and everything, presumably via USB 3, on a single cable?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Comment

I've only bought Dell for personal/company use and I've always found them to be of better quality than the competition. I currently have a three years old XPS 13 and I'll be going for the new model at some point later this year. It reviews well and can be bought for a very reasonable discount if one goes to the Dell outlet store.

I have a 29" widescreen monitor and wireless keyboard and mouse, so I don't miss not having a desktop machine... although I have recently resurrected an aged HP N54L Microserver for giggles.

I poked about at a Lenovo S13-something recently for a relative and I was quite impressed by how much more robust it felt than the more expensive HP. I'd be tempted by a Lenovo if I was looking for something cheaper.

I was tempted by a Mac at one point years ago, but I couldn't stomach the Apple Tax. Pound for pound my XPS with Win 10 and Hyper-V for the odd Linux excursion is better value IMHO.
          ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
          Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Oh wow, I must be behind the times - I'd never heard of USB docking. Does that handle display and everything, presumably via USB 3, on a single cable?

If you can get a USB-C one (depends on the laptop you go for), then definitely. They're great. Dual monitor, network, mouse, keyboard.

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
              I've only bought Dell for personal/company use and I've always found them to be of better quality than the competition. I currently have a three years old XPS 13 and I'll be going for the new model at some point later this year. It reviews well and can be bought for a very reasonable discount if one goes to the Dell outlet store.

I have a 29" widescreen monitor and wireless keyboard and mouse, so I don't miss not having a desktop machine... although I have recently resurrected an aged HP N54L Microserver for giggles.

I poked about at a Lenovo S13-something recently for a relative and I was quite impressed by how much more robust it felt than the more expensive HP. I'd be tempted by a Lenovo if I was looking for something cheaper.

I was tempted by a Mac at one point years ago, but I couldn't stomach the Apple Tax. Pound for pound my XPS with Win 10 and Hyper-V for the odd Linux excursion is better value IMHO.
              For years I used Toshiba Portege, loved them. Then they seemed to not quite have the spec I wanted for the price I was willing to pay and I went for a Sony Vaio. That recently went to the tip and now I'm on my first XPS13. Really liking it so far. Good keyboard.

My only niggle is that the Fn and Ctrl keys are swapped over compared to the Lenovo so I spend time both at home and at ClientCo pressing the wrong key until I figure out which keyboard I'm using.

I have never, ever, been tempted by any Apple product.

Comment

As an example:

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon 3rd Gen G4 8GB 240GB SSD i7-5600U FullHD https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0749Q6CC9

£600... £500 assuming vat. Decent sort of deal?

Comment

As an example:

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon 3rd Gen G4 8GB 240GB SSD i7-5600U FullHD https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0749Q6CC9

£600... £500 assuming vat. Decent sort of deal?

I'd be a little wary of the details on that. Spec says 2017 but if you read down the question and answers it says that batch was bought in 2015. Good deal got a 2017 laptop, not so sure about one that is 4 years old. I'd be doing a bit more research on that one first.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

ThinkPads are not what they used to be during IBM times. Current ClientCo is all Lenovo laptops shop 5-6 different models, from low to highish grade. All of them plastic and terrible viewing angles on the display. I'm sure their top models are up to scratch, but just don't put all ThinkPads in the same boat.

Also don't forget the fiasco with the baked in the BIOS spyware from couple of years ago and the fact they are Chinese company.

Regarding Docking stations, there should be bundles of them going second hand as the new Lenovo laptops (at least the one ClientCo is rolling out) don't have the old proprietary docking port but use USB-C docking stations, so they are disposing of a lot of old docking stations. Speaking of USB-C docking, depending on what ports you need, they range from £30ish to £200ish new and are compatible with any USB-C laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                      My only niggle is that the Fn and Ctrl keys are swapped over compared to the Lenovo so I spend time both at home and at ClientCo pressing the wrong key until I figure out which keyboard I'm using.
                      Not tried it myself but Lenovo BIOS often has a feature to swap the Fn and Ctrl keys.

You'll probably have to stick some new labels on the keys if they aren't the same size and can be prised off and swapped around or you'll inevitably wonder why the keys aren't working on occasion.
                      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Working...
                      X