• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mocking up a desktop application window?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mocking up a desktop application window?

I need to redesign a Qt application and would like to mock up the main window (I forget the buzzword bingo name for single Vs multi window applications). Adding a fixed toolbar, menu, and main window layout as well as popup/tool windows that are linked to buttons.

It's the sort of thing I've done every now and then over the years but never seriously enough to bother finding the right tool... hacking around with VS dialog editor and MSPaint!

There must be stuff out there, anyone recommend anything? I know the UI/UX people use Photoshop but I just want something simple and easy so I can show our developers the broad strokes.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Zeplin?

Zeplin is what our UX guys use Zeplin

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      I need to redesign a Qt application and would like to mock up the main window (I forget the buzzword bingo name for single Vs multi window applications). Adding a fixed toolbar, menu, and main window layout as well as popup/tool windows that are linked to buttons.

It's the sort of thing I've done every now and then over the years but never seriously enough to bother finding the right tool... hacking around with VS dialog editor and MSPaint!

There must be stuff out there, anyone recommend anything? I know the UI/UX people use Photoshop but I just want something simple and easy so I can show our developers the broad strokes.
      The UX/UI people DO NOT USE Photoshop

I (and most others) use Sketch but that is a MacOS only product, if you have access to the Adobe CC then Illustrator/XD is handy if you know your way round Adobe products already, Zeplin is a new one on me (and has the benefit of being cross platform which is regular issue we have here), Figma is also a good alternative to Sketch if you need something on Windows
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Freewill View Post
        Zeplin is what our UX guys use Zeplin
        I was interviewing a guy to do this today and he showed me some examples in Zeplin - looked nice. Apparently their UX guy works in Sketch and then exports to Zeplin for the developers to work from (not sure why)

Comment

I've been using balsamiq for a number of years. I've used it on both Windows and OSX.

It's very good for putting together quick mockups.
          Last edited by ShandyDrinker; 10 January 2019, 20:49.

Comment

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
            I've been using balsamiq for a number of years. I've used it on both Windows and OSX.

It's very good for putting together quick mockups.
            This is almost exactly what I was picturing - even a developer like me can use it! Not perfect (I wish you could apply OS themes to get more realistic mockups for manuals) but great for my purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              This is almost exactly what I was picturing - even a developer like me can use it! Not perfect (I wish you could apply OS themes to get more realistic mockups for manuals) but great for my purposes.
              Yeah.

I've still not found anything better for quickly mocking up screens for demonstrations. For manuals I usually do that during the development or testing phases but know that isn't always an option.

For info there are also some useful templates available from Wireframes To Go too.

Comment

Working...
              X