• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Weird internet upload speed issue, ethernet only

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird internet upload speed issue, ethernet only

I have a weird issue where I get virtually zero upload speed but only when connecting via ethernet, WiFi works fine.

e.g. Computer on WiFi gets 20/5 Mbps up/down
    Same computer on Ethernet gets 30/0.5

My connection has a maximum of about 30/8 according to the modem which is what I expect. The same problem persists on 2 different modem/routers and I think two different ISPs... I never explicitly noticed it but the symptoms were there in hindsight.
    One interesting(?) point is that running speed-test on ethernet, the upload test sets at 0.0 for the first 2-3s then bounces up to .5. On WiFi, there is no such 'lag'.

As well as any advice how to fix it, I'm really curious just what could be the root cause... a fix will probably involve finding where the issue is but not how it causes the specific problem that download is fine but upload is slow. Because as I understand it ethernet cable doesn't have 2 unidirectional links?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Stupid questions:
    1. Have you tried a different ethernet cable?
    2. How long is the cable run to your router?
    3. Have you tried a different computer on a cable?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      Stupid questions:
      1. Have you tried a different ethernet cable?
      2. How long is the cable run to your router?
      3. Have you tried a different computer on a cable?
      1. Yes into a different socket*
      2. 10m*
      3. I'm not sure I have another computer with an Ethernet port, unless I get one of of storage, as laptops have started ditching them

* We wired one bit of the house with cat6e. There's an 8-port powered hub. However I get the feeling this issue might predate that... Obviously a next step is to cable directly PC to router but I have tried more than one port on the hub already.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Obviously a next step is to cable directly PC to router but I have tried more than one port on the hub already.
        I think you have to do this as it's either faulty wiring (on more than one socket) or a faulty / poorly configured port on the PC. Have you done all the usual nonsense about un-installing/re-installing drivers for the ethernet port? Try the MS driver, the previous driver, etc? Have you another device you can direct-connect the PC to, such as a NAS, and measure the speed? Surely one of your mates / kids has another device you could try?

Good luck. Issues like this are so annoying and time consuming

Comment

Working...
        X