• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Two Sony Xperia XZ's die on the same day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two Sony Xperia XZ's die on the same day

My Xperia XZ Premium and my daughter-in-law's Xperia XZ1 Compact were both on charge last night. In the morning, they were both discharged and now refuse to charge at all. It looks like the batteries are completely discharged. My phone was bought July last year, her's April this year.

None of the various troubleshooting/reset procedures work at all. And we are using original Sony chargers and usb cables.

Bit annoying as we're on holiday in Australia at the moment. At least my wife's Samsung and my son's LG phones are working fine.

We suspect that some kind of background update was applied that fsked everything up.

Any other ideas?
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

1. Were they plugged in properly?
    2. Are you charging them through a wall socket, or via another device?
    3. Have you seen the number of queries on the internet from people who have Sony phones that discharge?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      1. Were they plugged in properly?
      2. Are you charging them through a wall socket, or via another device?
      3. Have you seen the number of queries on the internet from people who have Sony phones that discharge?
      1, Yes
      2. Wall socket (through passive adapter)
      3. No. Not yet...

Comment

My brother's 'hand me down' Xperia did the same recently. He let the battery go totally flat and now it won't charge, just gets the red light when plugged in but phone otherwise is dead. Battery can't easily be replaced without dismantling the phone by the looks of things.

Looking on the internet it's a common issue. I tried the easier 'fixes' in the following thread but didn't go as far as trying to install Sony's software, which tends to be crap anyway based on historical experience.

Sony Xperia Z - Dead, won't turn on, won't charge, PC doesn't recognise - Page 30 - Support forum

The 'two minute restart procedure' on page 30 seemed promising but did nothing.

It's a relatively old phone anyway so that's one Christmas present sorted.
        Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          2. Wall socket (through passive adapter)
          Is the USB adapter either a Sony one, or one capable of > 1.5A charging per device?
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
            My brother's 'hand me down' Xperia did the same recently. He let the battery go totally flat and now it won't charge, just gets the red light when plugged in but phone otherwise is dead.
            Don't even get the red light

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            Is the USB adapter either a Sony one, or one capable of > 1.5A charging per device?
            Tried various >1.5A chargers, including a Sony one. My son's LG charges fine, fast, off all of them.

Looks like return to Sony under warranty. At least everything is backed up. I might lose a few friends who wonder why I'm no longer talking to them on WhatsApp!

It's the TFA using the phone that's a pain.

Comment

Working...
            X