• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sharing excel documents

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharing excel documents

Hey Clever peeps.

Is it possible to have multiple users editing an excel document simultaneously

I know it is possible using google docs and it seems O365 also has this capability

But not on excel 2010/2013 etc?

Any ideas?

From memory, no. When one user is editing it, is locked.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Bad memories.

Yes you can.

Go to Review, click on Share Workbook, first option on the Editing tab is “Allow changes by more than one user at the same time. This also allows workbook merging”

Works in Excel 2010 & 2013 (that’s all I have available to check right now)

Comment

Yeah I have just found that...

wonder how well it will work!

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
          As well as most MS software.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            I think the main problem is that we seem to want 30+ people to be able to amend/update this spreadsheet - and I think it is just not going to work - people will be overwriting other peoples work etc etc...

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              oh, dear, oh dear

Comment

Sharing a workbook is the worst way to allow multiple sheet updates. It will corrupt, be locked out, have the same record overwritten multiple times, etc etc

What's the requirement that leads you think this is needed? Usually happens when a client thinks a spreadsheet is a viable alternative to a basic database - you could set up something simple in Access and have a much better result.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                  Yeah I have just found that...

cheers
                  Simple answer is it doesn't - you'll end up with a corrupt spreadsheet and lost data! I worked at a place where one team did this a lot and they were constantly losing their data. It's a crock!
                  Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Ok so this is going to be tried (even after I told them about BB's response)

Anyway does anyone know if it works cross version - e.g. excel 2007 v excel 2010 v excel 2013?

Comment

Working...
                    X