• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Sharing excel documents"

Collapse

• WTFH
    replied
    And a bit of detail on the new stuff in 2013:
    Excel 2013 New Functions

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    2013 also has:
    • Improved Multi-threading and Memory Contention
    • FlashFill
    • Power View
    • PowerPivot Add-In
    • Timeline Slicer
    • Slicer with Excel Tables
    • Ability to Save files in OneDrive
    • Windows App
    • Inquire Add-In
    • Charting Enhancements
    • Recommended Charts and Pivot Tables
    • 50 new functions

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    2010 also has:

Multi-threading recalculation (MTR) for commonly used functions
    Improved pivot tables
    Pivot Table Slicers
    More conditional formatting options
    Additional image editing capabilities
    In-cell charts called sparklines
    Ability to preview before pasting
    Office 2010 backstage feature for document-related tasks
    Ability to customize the Ribbon
    Many new Function, most highly specialized to improve accuracy

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    2010 has these functions, not found in 2007:

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    It will work for 2010 onwards BUT it's going to get messy. If a user uses functionality in 2013 that isn't in 2007 (colours/formats/advanced filters) then it will not work for a user on 2007.

Or, to put it another way: Run, Forrest, Run!
    Yeah - I keep telling the business that this is generally seen by the technical community as a BAD IDEA and there is a good chance the spreadsheet will corrupt and they will lose everything.

So remember you heard it here first folks

I'll now take bets on whether the support call that their excel spreadsheet is broken and they have lost the data will come in 2018 or they will manage to get into 2019...

I am contemplating sending them a link to this thread.....

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Ok so this is going to be tried (even after I told them about BB's response)

Anyway does anyone know if it works cross version - e.g. excel 2007 v excel 2010 v excel 2013?

It will work for 2010 onwards BUT it's going to get messy. If a user uses functionality in 2013 that isn't in 2007 (colours/formats/advanced filters) then it will not work for a user on 2007.

Or, to put it another way: Run, Forrest, Run!

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Ok so this is going to be tried (even after I told them about BB's response)

Anyway does anyone know if it works cross version - e.g. excel 2007 v excel 2010 v excel 2013?

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Yeah I have just found that...

wonder how well it will work!

cheers
    Simple answer is it doesn't - you'll end up with a corrupt spreadsheet and lost data! I worked at a place where one team did this a lot and they were constantly losing their data. It's a crock!

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Sharing a workbook is the worst way to allow multiple sheet updates. It will corrupt, be locked out, have the same record overwritten multiple times, etc etc

What's the requirement that leads you think this is needed? Usually happens when a client thinks a spreadsheet is a viable alternative to a basic database - you could set up something simple in Access and have a much better result.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    As well as most MS software.
    oh, dear, oh dear

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    I think the main problem is that we seem to want 30+ people to be able to amend/update this spreadsheet - and I think it is just not going to work - people will be overwriting other peoples work etc etc...

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Yeah I have just found that...

cheers

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Bad memories.

Yes you can.

Go to Review, click on Share Workbook, first option on the Editing tab is “Allow changes by more than one user at the same time. This also allows workbook merging”

Works in Excel 2010 & 2013 (that’s all I have available to check right now)

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    From memory, no. When one user is editing it, is locked.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X