• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Implicit sort order on a database

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Implicit sort order on a database

Has anyone else found bugs in software caused by programmers assuming that a database table's data is stored in an implicit order?
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Only my own

Back around 2000, a site I was working on suddenly started producing unexpected results because I'd left out an ORDER BY. It was using SQL Server, and apparently that had decided to rearrange its stuff on disk. The data in question, which had been coming back in order of insertion, started coming back in an entirely different order; as I recall, it started a couple of thousand records in, with the stuff at the "beginning" turning up much further down.

Luckily I knew that "different order to the one you expect" is usually, in fact, "unordered but giving the impression of having some kind of order as an artefact of the underlying implementation" so I was able to quickly diagnose and fix it. It would've been rather embarrassing had it made it into production

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Has anyone else found bugs in software caused by programmers assuming that a database table's data is stored in an implicit order?
      Not for a while, perhaps 4 years ago.

Comment

In my table of "which mod I hate the most" I have found the order is always changing.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
          In my table of "which mod I hate the most" I have found the order is always changing.
          Rubbish - that would imply there was a mod you hate least.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
          X