• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mesh WiFi but my phone STILL drops when switching nodes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mesh WiFi but my phone STILL drops when switching nodes

After getting thoroughly pissed off at my phone not working on WiFi repeaters, I bought a TendaNova mesh system a while ago. it was great but developed a fault so was returned and instead I got the BT whole home thing. This is generally good but I've noticed my phone gets kicked off WiFi when switching nodes (or randomly).

Some games and apps I use are temperamental to this e.g. I was on the final pot in a maximum snooker break when my phone dropped to 4G and I was forfeited. 10min down the drain, hardly the end of the world but intensely annoying that in 2018 after spending £hundreds on a proper router and fancy mesh system I can't maintain stable WiFi!

I've a 1+3 and possibly it simply can't handle mesh WiFi? Surely losing WiFi for several seconds is not how it's supposed to work - ironically I had almost full signal anyway. Or could this be a BT issue?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

I'm really out of date on these things as it's been a long time since I was working with these systems so I've deliberately stayed out of any convos on here.

But, broadly....yeah. This has always been my experience with "mesh" - they suck. The standards are crap, lots of client compatibility issues and generally nowhere near the seamless performance they promise - and, that's from putting in big brand names (Albeit, again, back in the day).

Couple of years ago I nearly splurged on a few UniFi AP's, but read much the same things. Great for getting coverage, but all of the handoff tech and seamless stuff is "meh" at best

Surely losing WiFi for several seconds is not how it's supposed to work
    As far as I'm aware, the standards just do not exist to such an extent that you can guarantee a seamless handover amongst a variety of client devices. Fundamentally, you're just roaming between two AP's and the only real cleverness is a single pane of glass and the Mesh system working in unity regarding things like frequency and power. They also have the ability to kick clients from one AP to force a rejoin onto another - but again, rarely seamless.
    Last edited by vwdan; 2 November 2018, 15:23.

Comment

I have the google wifi. Only two units but seems to work well enough.

Comment

I had thought the handover process was supposed to be 100% on the Mesh side i.e the devices didn't need to support it.

I have seen some other grumbles from 1+ users suggesting it might be my device though.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
        X