• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving domain/web/email to new hosting provider

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving domain/web/email to new hosting provider

There's been a few similar threads in the past but most seem quite old now so no apologies for starting a fresh one.

Currently, my domain-only host is Easily and has been for years, but since their horrendous website redesign earlier this year, coupled with my need to relocate my separate web/email hosting (currently via my ISP), I'm looking for a new provider to host all three.

Has anyone experience of HIHosting?
    They appear well regarded on certain business forums.

I've seen here that Vidahost are well regarded (at least by SimonMac) but note they have been consumed by GoDaddy now so I'm less than keen.

Otherwise, any other recommendations for all in on domain/web/email hosting?

I should say my web requirements are very simple - mostly just very old school raw html for a few personal websites and the basic company site.
    Last edited by Dark Black; 1 November 2018, 15:29.
    Do what thou wilt

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
    There's been a few similar threads in the past but most seem quite old now so no apologies for starting a fresh one.

Currently, my domain-only host is Easily and has been for years, but since their horrendous website redesign earlier this year, coupled with my need to relocate my separate web/email hosting (currently via my ISP), I'm looking for a new provider to host all three.

I've seen here that Vidahost are well regarded (at least by SimonMac) but note they have been consumed by GoDaddy now so I'm less than keen.

Otherwise, any other recommendations for all in on domain/web.email hosting?

I should say my web requirements are very simple - mostly just very old school raw html for a few personal websites and the basic company site.
    I'm still with 1&1 (or Ionos as they seem to have rebranded). I know they get a bad press, but I've not had problems with them. Currently have several domains (personal, business and 3rd party) hosted with them.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Not seen HIHosting before but have used UK2 again over the last year or so a couple of times. They used to be really crap but have been impressed with the services so might be worth checking them out as a comparison for pricing etc, they seem to offer all of the services you are looking for.

Comment

I use different hosting/email/domains providers, so they are not all in one 'basket'.

domain reg: gandi
        email: Fastmail (although they've had a few minor connectivity issues recently, nothing too bad though).
        hosting: SiteGround and Guru (UK based) - although this is primarily with WordPress sites

Pretty sure any of the above will do all 3 for you, if you want to keep them in one place.

Also use Office 365, which I like for email & other services.

Comment

I have found heart internet to be very good. excellent customer support

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post

Otherwise, any other recommendations for all in on domain/web/email hosting?

After just short of 10 years I have cancelled my Vidahost hosting

And it looks like I'm not the first, or will be the last

Dom Taylor on LinkedIn: "Saddened to see many of my old customers having issues with the company I founded and sold. I have been watching from a distance but recently have seen an uptick in the number of ex clients contacting me personally.

It is a truism that UK business owners tend to be short-sighted with selling companies. Much as we in the UK may not like brash American-style CEOs, the ones who stick to their guns and let their personalities lead for the long term should be admired and learnt from.

A long way to say - believe in yourself and your product!"
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Ah, that's what that was about!

Comment

For my wordpress website I'm using Azure, it's an overkill for most lightly used websites and probably not worth the extra cost, but it's "free" for me using the Action pack credits.

Comment

I've used a company called Xilo for years - think I pay £35 a year and it hosts company website and a few other bits and bobs, decent CPanel access, good support and lots of easy to deploy apps. Email all hooked into O365.

Comment

I've been dragging my feet on this and not moved provider yet. Intend to do so before my primary domain is up for renewal in August though.

HiHosting still top of the list. I do have my business domain through Fasthosts, and although them seem to get a lot of bad reviews I've not had any issues with them.

In the meantime, any other recommendations still welcome.
                    Do what thou wilt

Comment

Working...
                    X