• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Excel jiggery-pokery

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Will the last test of the first line always be "(Customer Updates)" ? (or maybe even just " Updates)"

This is dirty, and strips out the date/time/etc on the first line... but works:
    =MID(A1,FIND("Updates)",A1,1)+9,(FIND("-20",A1,10)-FIND("Updates)",A1,1))-15)

This will work for any year in the 21st century as long as "-20" and "Updates)" don't appear in the free text

or, if you want to include the date & name:
    =LEFT(A1,(FIND("-20",A1,10))-6)

This will work for any year in the 21st century as long as "-20" doesn't appear in the free text of the most recent comment.

Might try to refine it some more.
    Do need the date and timestamp.

=LEFT(A1,(FIND("-20",A1,10))-6)

This works, but breaks if there is only one entry, which I hadnt thought about as there was only actually one row where that was the case.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

=LEFT(A1,IFERROR(((FIND("-20",A1,10))-6),LEN(A1)))

Gets round the bug in version 1.
      The IFERROR function returns the value if it gets a match, if it doesn't get a match (i.e. goes into error) then it returns the length of the cell
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        =LEFT(A1,IFERROR(((FIND("-20",A1,10))-6),LEN(A1)))

Gets round the bug in version 1.
        The IFERROR function returns the value if it gets a match, if it doesn't get a match (i.e. goes into error) then it returns the length of the cell
        Bingo!

I owe you a pint
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
        X