• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Share Calendar info between 2 email platforms

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Share Calendar info between 2 email platforms

So trying to research something, thought I would ask here as well.
    I need to know if there is a way for 2 different organisations to share calendar info.
    I dont just mean publish the calendar online in a read only mode.
    Full calendar access to view and add entries.

Platform 1 is Office 365
    Platform 2 is NHS Mail

One of the issue I have is that NHS Mail is locked down for security reasons (they say!)

is there native way to do this or, alternatively maybe some software?

NHS Mail is locked down

Comment

Originally posted by Einstein Jnr View Post
      NHS Mail is locked down
      Yes, very much so.
      If the OP is looking for a way to access NHS calendar, he needs to think again. Your best bet is to set up another account that the NHS person accesses separately and adds the information.

Due to patient confidentiality, NHS mail is quite secure.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        Yes, very much so.
        If the OP is looking for a way to access NHS calendar, he needs to think again. Your best bet is to set up another account that the NHS person accesses separately and adds the information.

Due to patient confidentiality, NHS mail is quite secure.
        Yes fully aware of how locked down it is (the 'they say' was just a joke)
        I was hoping for another way around having to set up a separate account for the NHS Staff. Its not just one person, potentially going to be about 25 people. Having to license an additional 25 people on another mail platform (i.e. Platform 1 - Office 365) is not only additional cost but adds to the hassle/politics of who is going to pay/support it and additional work for the staff having to manage 2 accounts.
        However, judging by the lack of responses it looks like there is no other way about it.

Thanks WTFH and Einstein Jnr for the responses.

Comment

Originally posted by wparkar View Post
          Yes fully aware of how locked down it is (the 'they say' was just a joke)
          I was hoping for another way around having to set up a separate account for the NHS Staff. Its not just one person, potentially going to be about 25 people. Having to license an additional 25 people on another mail platform (i.e. Platform 1 - Office 365) is not only additional cost but adds to the hassle/politics of who is going to pay/support it and additional work for the staff having to manage 2 accounts.
          However, judging by the lack of responses it looks like there is no other way about it.

Thanks WTFH and Einstein Jnr for the responses.
          How about using Google?
          It has mail and calendar functionality and doesn't cost anything (unless you go for a business plan).

Comment

How about using Google?
            It has mail and calendar functionality and doesn't cost anything (unless you go for a business plan).
            It would mean having to move staff from both O365 and NHS Mail to Google to enable calendar sharing while still maintaining their current platforms as thats part of the organisations they work for.
            The platform also need to be secure enough to send Patient Data hence the reason to keep users on NHS Mail if possible.

Comment

Your initial request was to share a calendar.

You now say it's to share patient data. Totally different, and you have no option to do that without migrating the O365 stuff onto the NHS platform, which is the best solution, but you probably won't be able to deliver it.

Comment

It's perfectly possible to share the Exchange Online (O365) calendar information by federating with another Exchange organisation. It's part of a hybrid mode setup.

So it's technically possible, but almost certainly not allowed by NHS Mail.
                Depending on where you are in the NHS (security and desktop policies etc) you might be able to access the O365 mailbox in the same Outlook client and then drag and drop appointments.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Your initial request was to share a calendar.

You now say it's to share patient data. Totally different, and you have no option to do that without migrating the O365 stuff onto the NHS platform, which is the best solution, but you probably won't be able to deliver it.
                  The request is to share calendar information. The NHS Staff need to send patient data hence they cannot move off NHS Mail. I was looking for a solution that keeps them on NHS Mail but allows the calendar to be shared. E-Mails can be sent between NHS Mail and O365 securely (as both are accredited secure by NHS Digital and so allowed to send PID to one another).

@Lance yes a federated option would be great but not allows with NHS Mail. It looks increasingly like we will have to set up a separate O365 mailbox for the NHS staff and have them manage 2.

Comment

Originally posted by wparkar View Post
                    The NHS Staff need to send patient data hence they cannot move off NHS Mail.
                    If I recall correctly from my NHS days, there's no barrier to sharing patient data on another email platform to NHS Mail. But the trusts' Caldicott Guardians will need to be consulted.

Another possibility is to develop your own integration tool to retrieve data from NHS mail (it's Exchange at the end of the day) and import it into an O365 calendar. IMAP would be the easiest way but EWS would be more scalable and long-lasting.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                    X