• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Eero Home WiFi or Google WiFi

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been using a traditional router for years now. My family and I live in a 3.5 bedroom apartment. The 3 of us use the internet constantly. We are having some issues recently, so I decided it is finally time to update our system. While researching I came across these two mesh system options, so I would appreciate your feedback on them. From all, I've heard Google won't be suitable for more demanding users like us, but I can't state that for sure since I have no experience with it.

What do you mean by "traditional router"?
    What issues are you having?
    What internet speed are you getting?
    What are you using the internet for?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Hmm. Inneresting. I don't think 3 people using the internet at home is really a demanding set of users TBH. I'd call that standard.

If you can't google an answer to this should you be messing around with mesh's?

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016...-heavyweights/
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Something interesting has come out in this thread though. I'll be having a go with the Wifi Analyser they use in the link above. Might be the answer to the family complaining wifi isn't good enough even though they've got a router in the room.

https://www.netspotapp.com/

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          What do you mean by "traditional router"?
          What issues are you having?
          What innernet speed are you getting?
          What are you using the innernet for?
          FTFY

Worth considering as well whether fibre optic broadband is available in Bridgwater yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            FTFY

Worth considering as well whether fibre optic broadband is available in Bridgwater yet.
            If fibre is available it can't be very good. It appears a number of people in the area have had to buy these.

https://www.mobile-signal-boosters.c...gnal-boosters/

From the site...

Our mobile signal boosters for Freedom Pop were sold to: Padiham, Seaham, Wallingford, North Berwick, Eston, Bridge of Earn, Formby, Bedford, Netherfield, Buckie, Enfield, Castle Cary, Thirsk, Colwyn Bay, Monmouth, North Tawton, Leominster, Killamarsh, Bishop Auckland, Crediton, Horncastle, Lutterworth, Woodbridge, Carrickfergus, Birmingham, Blyth, Melton Mowbray, Spalding, Dunbar, Barnet, Hailsham, Inverlochy, Hay on Wye, Letham, Marazion, Sherborne, Ongar, Southwick, Waltham Cross, Preesall, Wellington, Wixams, Coseley, Scarborough, Todmorden, Doncaster, Ullapool, Stranraer, Helmsley, Eye

Comment

By traditional router, I mean an old-fashioned router from a few years ago with cables and all that jazz. The main issues are very low speed at night, it disconnects relatively often and I have to unplug, restart and wait until it connects again, sometimes my pc shows no connection but the router seems to work fine and the corresponding light on the router is on. The last time I did a speed test it was 20 Mbps. The internet is used for live streams, streaming online, uploading material online, etc and this is not done by one person at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by pink View Post
                By traditional router, I mean an old-fashioned router from a few years ago with cables and all that jazz. The main issues are very low speed at night, it disconnects relatively often and I have to unplug, restart and wait until it connects again, sometimes my pc shows no connection but the router seems to work fine and the corresponding light on the router is on. The last time I did a speed test it was 20 Mbps. The internet is used for live streams, streaming online, uploading material online, etc and this is not done by one person at a time.
                OK, if you don't know and aren't prepared to help give us useful information, we're not going to be able to help you.

Mesh isn't going to help you.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by pink View Post
                  Come on someone. Press the button.

Comment

I have the google WiFi with two units. Usually there are around 12 devices connected and it’s not a problem.

The only issue I have had is with the sky box that would not connect to the router WiFi. Known problem with the sky box so I ended up using an Ethernet cable.

If you are into configuring your router then google WiFi is limited though you can do the usual port forwarding and reserving ips.

Comment

Working...
                    X