• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Webserver Design

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Webserver Design

Playing around with hosting wordpress websites for Plan B, very low revenue at the moment but it's better than nothing.

At the moment I am using Azure hosting, I have 1 MySQL server (2 CPU, 8GB Ram, SSD) and each website is being hosted on a small dedicated VM (1 CPU 1.75 GB Ram).

Everything has been running for a while and server load is minimal even on the lower spec. I know from a maintenance point of view having one server with multiple websites would be better for OS patching etc, but are there any other advantages of having a single higher spec webserver with multiple sites running on it, rather than having each site on a dedicated low power server?
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

If one site gets hammered for whatever reason, a beefier server absorb more hits. Of course the flip side of that is if one site is being DDosd then it can take everything else out.
    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      Playing around with hosting wordpress websites for Plan B, very low revenue at the moment but it's better than nothing.

At the moment I am using Azure hosting, I have 1 MySQL server (2 CPU, 8GB Ram, SSD) and each website is being hosted on a small dedicated VM (1 CPU 1.75 GB Ram).

Everything has been running for a while and server load is minimal even on the lower spec. I know from a maintenance point of view having one server with multiple websites would be better for OS patching etc, but are there any other advantages of having a single higher spec webserver with multiple sites running on it, rather than having each site on a dedicated low power server?
      Why not get rid of the VM and use an Azure app service. No need to worry about patching. You can also set the service to scale automatically if your traffic does grow.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
        Why not get rid of the VM and use an Azure app service. No need to worry about patching. You can also set the service to scale automatically if your traffic does grow.
        Yep, I'm with woohoo on this one - go PaaS wherever possible.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

IIRC you have to use Azure Database with apps like that, and the price is crazy stupid

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            IIRC you have to use Azure Database with apps like that, and the price is crazy stupid
            I guess it depends on what you need but I think I'm paying for a basic database around £3 a month - well I'm not paying it I get £70 a month with MS Action pack subscription.

Comment

I guess it depends on what you need but I think I'm paying for a basic database around £3 a month - well I'm not paying it I get £70 a month with MS Action pack subscription.
              I get 2 x £115 from various MSDN accounts, just specc'd Wordpress on Linux, best database I can find is around £25 a month, might do a bit more digging on various pricing options

Comment

By the sounds of it you could scale right back on your hardware and use a multinsite instance of WordPress to host the lot.

If your main aim right now is to keep it ticking over low cost you could probably get away with one server doing the DB and the Web... I know it's not good practice but it's cost effective and can always be split up and scaled out if needed in future.

Comment

Originally posted by Snarf View Post
                  By the sounds of it you could scale right back on your hardware and use a multinsite instance of WordPress to host the lot.

If your main aim right now is to keep it ticking over low cost you could probably get away with one server doing the DB and the Web... I know it's not good practice but it's cost effective and can always be split up and scaled out if needed in future.
                  The main aim is to learn something new, started as messing around in Azure and had a client referred to me who wasn’t happy with their existing hosting so that turned out to be a plus, not charging much but enough to keep me playing

Comment

Working...
                  X