• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Security of Google Forms and GDPR

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Security of Google Forms and GDPR

My wife recently received an email with a link to a Google Form, from her employer's HR person. The form requests certain sensitive pieces of information. There's no particular issue with providing the data, as such, but the method doesn't seem quite right. (I'd prefer she receive a form by post that she fills in and snail-mails back. Or even receives it via email to print off and post).

One obvious point is that anyone with the link could fill in any information about anyone, so in terms of ensuring data fidelity, it a bit crap.

Are there any security experts (or contractors posing as one ) who can tell me if there are any other security and/or legal issues here.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Could your wife ask her HR if these forms have been included in their GDPR preparation? Most decent companies appear to have a GDPR function desperately trying to get ready for May. If these forms have been through their process you should have better assurance than finding out they've not been looked at yet?

You seem to be asking more about security element than GDPR though?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

More concerned with the technicalities of security, yes. GDPR violations are an optional extra. The employer being a school, there's a high chance that their IT systems might not be compliant (although GDPR doesn't became law in CH until 2019).
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        More concerned with the technicalities of security, yes. GDPR violations are an optional extra. The employer being a school, there's a high chance that their IT systems might not be compliant (although GDPR doesn't became law in CH until 2019).
        Might be good to know in which country that data is being stored and processed.
        For example, would you be happy if it was stored in AWS in some country that had no GDPR regulation?
        Would you be happy if it was processed in some country that had rather less secure requirements around personal data?

I don't know what obligation the company has, for providing you with this information. I'm not a GDPR expert or even remotely close. I do share the same concerns when I fill stuff in online. I especially hate those companies that make you create an online account just to buy stuff (not like Amazon, more like one-time purchases from, for example, cheapgardenstufftoyou.com).
        Don't believe it, until you see it!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          The school needs to be asked simple questions like - How many people in the company have access to the HR Google account? Does the account have at least 2 factor authentication on it?

Plus - https://support.google.com/googleclo.../6056694?hl=en

Edited to add - loads of people ask these questions of Google so they have prepared answers.
          Last edited by SueEllen; 19 April 2018, 23:48.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
          X