• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Apple Watch or Fitbit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pink View Post
    And how is it compared to Fitbit now when you've used both? I've read that the iWatch has better notification and app integration but the fitness aspect is good on both, or actually a bit better on iWatch. To be honest, I was thinking of buying Fitbit or Misfit Phase since they fit perfectly into my budget range. But if Apple's watch is that good I don't mind spending a bit more, what do you think?

I really like the Apple Watch and not just for fitness. It's a quality piece of hardware, robust, difficult to scratch and feels nice to wear.

I'm not an amateur athlete so my needs may be different from others. I'm interested in improving my fitness, recording gym session, improving walking speed (I walk the dogs for two hours a day) and monitoring my heart rate. I also use a home bike.

I work from home and sit in front of a PC most of the day so I want to increase my activity. The Apple Watch takes a different approach from fitbit, fitbit is focused on increasing activity by monitoring steps.
    Apple has a focus on activity, so if you walk it counts as activity, if you cycle is counts towards activity. You can also see a break down between calories burnt through activity and what you would normally use by just existing.

With the fitbit I was too focused on winning challenges and increasing steps. Cycling did not count towards steps, same for weight lifting. So I think Apple give you a more rounded view of your activity.

The Apple app is pretty good but you can't view your stats on a website. You can export the information if you want but it's not something that you get out of the box.

The heart rate monitor and gps are fine. The heart rate information is presented really well and it's useful to see how exercise over time impacts this. I also record my weight using wifi scales and manually record my blood pressure. Using the health app again you can see the correlation between exercise, bp, heart rate etc.

I’m writing war and peace, so if there is anything specific you want to know then let me know.

Apple Watch is better than Fitbit in my opinion.
    Last edited by woohoo; 20 June 2018, 18:43.

Comment

No, I have no questions for now. Your answer was very thorough, thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by pink View Post
        No, I have no questions for now. Your answer was very thorough, thank you!
        And provided you stay out of the Professional Forums you will be welcomed here.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
          It's a quality piece of hardware, robust, difficult to scratch and feels nice to wear. .
          Bit like your rubber gimp suit....
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Bit like your rubber gimp suit....
            Thanks for reminding me, i want it back!

Comment

Is it just me or there is a certain tension whenever I comment somewhere? Can you please tell me what the problem is?

Comment

Working...
              X