Blockchain
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Blockchain

  1. #1

    Super poster

    fullyautomatix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Gaul
    Posts
    4,187
    Thanks (Given)
    5
    Thanks (Received)
    77
    Likes (Given)
    28
    Likes (Received)
    311

    Default Blockchain

    Is anyone working/training or doing anything on blockchain? It is really gaining traction in terms of investment and I would love to eat a slice of that pie.
    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

  2. #2

    Respect my authoritah!

    NotAllThere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Far away from HMRC
    Posts
    17,571
    Thanks (Given)
    195
    Thanks (Received)
    819
    Likes (Given)
    1279
    Likes (Received)
    2752

    Default

    One of my permie colleagues is developing a project using blockchain. What he's doing is nothing to do with my day to day work, but I can earwig on his conversations - and I've learned a lot. I can't give details at all, but suffice to say, if you're looking for a new area to work in, I think there's huge potential for exploitation. Get away from the idea of currency, and think in terms of audit trails and privacy.
    --drunk on abuse of power--

  3. #3

    Contractor Among Contractors

    Lance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    home
    Posts
    1,686
    Thanks (Given)
    18
    Thanks (Received)
    109
    Likes (Given)
    183
    Likes (Received)
    376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Get away from the idea of currency, and think in terms of audit trails and privacy.
    ^^^^^ This is you're not a total maths propeller-head.

    The work under the bonnet is heavy-duty cryptographics. IMO that's where the real money is (and I don't mean enough knowledge to fork the Bitcoin source code and make your own alt-coin). The banks will pay very handsomely for people who really understand how it works and what it can be made to do. Although I suspect they'll recruit graduates with 1st class degrees from the top universitys rather than contractors.
    See You Next Tuesday

  4. #4
    sal
    sal is offline

    Contractor Among Contractors


    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,381
    Thanks (Given)
    2
    Thanks (Received)
    57
    Likes (Given)
    314
    Likes (Received)
    274

    Default

    I have friends that partnered with IBM on this:

    https://www.ibm.com/blogs/systems/pl...ocean-plastic/

  5. #5

    More fingers than teeth

    darmstadt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    The Eurozone
    Posts
    13,502
    Thanks (Given)
    39
    Thanks (Received)
    342
    Likes (Given)
    190
    Likes (Received)
    1322

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    I have friends that partnered with IBM on this:

    https://www.ibm.com/blogs/systems/pl...ocean-plastic/
    This and other similar projects...
    Pants are no good unless they stick to the wall after you've taken them off.

  6. #6

    Contractor Among Contractors

    Lance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    home
    Posts
    1,686
    Thanks (Given)
    18
    Thanks (Received)
    109
    Likes (Given)
    183
    Likes (Received)
    376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    I have friends that partnered with IBM on this:

    https://www.ibm.com/blogs/systems/pl...ocean-plastic/
    I like the use of technology, and the desire to clear up the plastic, but find the method quite disturbing.

    Why would you 'pay' the poor people with a currency that you control where they can spend? Why not give them US dollars (or other local currency, or even real Bitcoins) which they can choose to spend as they like. And do the collectors need to have a mobile phone to use the currency?

    At some stage the providers of the food and water will be getting actual cash so I'm not sure what problem the blockchain is solving here.

    Maybe I'm cynical but it looks like a huge vanity project.
    See You Next Tuesday

  7. #7

    Respect my authoritah!

    NotAllThere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Far away from HMRC
    Posts
    17,571
    Thanks (Given)
    195
    Thanks (Received)
    819
    Likes (Given)
    1279
    Likes (Received)
    2752

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    ^^^^^ This is you're not a total maths propeller-head.

    The work under the bonnet is heavy-duty cryptographics. IMO that's where the real money is (and I don't mean enough knowledge to fork the Bitcoin source code and make your own alt-coin). The banks will pay very handsomely for people who really understand how it works and what it can be made to do. Although I suspect they'll recruit graduates with 1st class degrees from the top universitys rather than contractors.
    You don't need to understand the maths to exploit what it can do. There are applications way beyond finance and banks.
    --drunk on abuse of power--

  8. #8
    sal
    sal is offline

    Contractor Among Contractors


    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,381
    Thanks (Given)
    2
    Thanks (Received)
    57
    Likes (Given)
    314
    Likes (Received)
    274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    I like the use of technology, and the desire to clear up the plastic, but find the method quite disturbing.

    Why would you 'pay' the poor people with a currency that you control where they can spend? Why not give them US dollars (or other local currency, or even real Bitcoins) which they can choose to spend as they like. And do the collectors need to have a mobile phone to use the currency?

    At some stage the providers of the food and water will be getting actual cash so I'm not sure what problem the blockchain is solving here.

    Maybe I'm cynical but it looks like a huge vanity project.
    I'm not overly familiar with the details of the project, to comment on the details. I would guess that using specific crypto currency mitigates the risk of someone stealing/extorting and hoarding the "cash" from the regular people, like it often happens with monetary and material aid in the 3rd world countries. You would be surprised how many people have access to a smart phone, but no access to real necessities like clean water fro example.

    What I know is that my friends are passionate about it as software developers and the guys that started it at IBM are passionate about making a change and clearing the plastic. But I agree that most likely the big wigs at IBM are looking at it as a vanity/PR project

  9. #9

    Contractor Among Contractors

    Lance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    home
    Posts
    1,686
    Thanks (Given)
    18
    Thanks (Received)
    109
    Likes (Given)
    183
    Likes (Received)
    376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    I'm not overly familiar with the details of the project, to comment on the details. I would guess that using specific crypto currency mitigates the risk of someone stealing/extorting and hoarding the "cash" from the regular people, like it often happens with monetary and material aid in the 3rd world countries. You would be surprised how many people have access to a smart phone, but no access to real necessities like clean water fro example.

    What I know is that my friends are passionate about it as software developers and the guys that started it at IBM are passionate about making a change and clearing the plastic. But I agree that most likely the big wigs at IBM are looking at it as a vanity/PR project
    and to get IBM involved it has to have a technical solution.

    good luck to them though
    See You Next Tuesday

  10. #10

    Contractor Among Contractors

    Hobosapien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    LA - la la fantasy land
    Posts
    1,175
    Thanks (Given)
    33
    Thanks (Received)
    76
    Likes (Given)
    73
    Likes (Received)
    279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    I would guess that using specific crypto currency mitigates the risk of someone stealing/extorting and hoarding the "cash" from the regular people, like it often happens with monetary and material aid in the 3rd world countries. You would be surprised how many people have access to a smart phone, but no access to real necessities like clean water fro example.
    Yup.

    There's a TV show called 'Startup' available on Amazon Prime Video (an Amazon original show, so not sure if available via other legit sources) and while it's fiction it does have cryptocurrency as the product they're doing as the startup.

    Only watched the first episode so far but they do say when talking to VCs to get funding, that the benefit of cryptocurrency is that it's easier to access all over the world (most people have or will soon have a mobile phone) without banks or government controlling the access and supply.

    The woman that built the solution (GenCoin IIRC) did say it took her 7 years to do the algorithm, so plenty of time yet before we see real world solutions.

    Maybe everyone is seeing how they did it on the show and copying the idea.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.