• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Current NAS recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

isn't the real benefit of a NAS that you can access the data from any connected media around the house? So if you want to watch a stored movie or show someone family photos on the TV then you just stream them from the NAS. Or if you and the Mrs want to work on shared documents then you can do this easily from one NAS disk rather than having to share files between "his and hers" laptops.

Comment

I find those HP Microservers a pile of underpowered poop..

Comment

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
        Why not just get a decent UPS ?
        Because that doesn't provide any backup security.

Might be worth considering at some stage in the future, but at the moment it's not a requirement.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          So as per the thread title, what would you recommend?
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            A mini-itx box with a suitable processor. If its just a NAS get the Pentium G4560 otherwise get an i5 or i7 for VM use and as much memory as the machine will take. Then add an NVME card as the basis of the VMs..
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I bought an Oracle 7xxx series (can't remember exact model) Unified Storage box, £600 off ebay, 12tb with flash storage too for caching, bargain.

Bit power hungry (about 300w idle I think) but in the 4/5 years I've had it it's never need anything, disks all fine (12 x 1TB 3.5" SAS) plus I can hook some fibre up to it if I could be arsed anymore.

I've had enough of doing what I do at work at home too and as others here, seem to be storing a load of drop I don't need - I've hived off the important stuff, docs, pics etc to cloud and just garnering the courage to blat it and maybe flog it.

Got a DS3400 (24TB) too and TS3100 tape changer too, 24 slots, LTO3, too much crap to be honest, and almost a full time job to keep on top of.....

Comment

I have a couple of sharecenter's They are not massively high powered or speedy but they behave very well and at £50 they are cheap.

I have one in the house, one in the manshack. Both hidden against human threats.

Copy off site the really important stuff as well.

If you have more than a couple of Terabytes of essentials then you are an exhibitionist.

I do have 12 TB of ripped DVDs though.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I have a WD DL4100 does everything I need (Media Flie share for iTunes and SONOS, Time Machine backups & Plex), upped the memory and stuck in 4 x 2TB WD RED drives and was fine for the 18 months I have used it, the drives have shown errors but not sure the NAS can be blamed for that.
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                    Stick a Xeon 1265L and 16GB of RAM in it and it will be more powerful than your DS3400 and likely the Orcale box too, you don't need FC for a home NAS especially when coupled with noise and power consumption.

Even the basic Celeron + 4GB RAM is more than what's in the sub £600 consumer NAS, same form factor and enterprise level of hardware support for a fraction of the cost.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                      Stick a Xeon 1265L and 16GB of RAM in it and it will be more powerful than your DS3400 and likely the Orcale box too, you don't need FC for a home NAS especially when coupled with noise and power consumption.

Even the basic Celeron + 4GB RAM is more than what's in the sub £600 consumer NAS, same form factor and enterprise level of hardware support for a fraction of the cost.
                      That's as maybe but my point was more about the quality of components, everyone here seems to be suffering with failing drives, dead NAS's and ailing HP Microservers, the DS3400 and Oracle 7120 (both second hand) have never missed a beat in 4 years. I don't fire up the DS3400 much tho now - used it for POCs etc before trying it at clientco.

The Oracle box is basically an X4500 I think with 32gb RAM, two Xeon's, 2x1TB 3.5" mirrored boot drives, this odd flash-memory card, and 12 disks stuffed in the front on SAS RAID, pretty powerful even now I think. And a LOM so I can remote on/off it.

Having said that can't be arsed with it anymore - 90% of what's on it is crap.

Comment

Working...
                      X