• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newer Kindles

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    My missus had the original with keyboard - but she broke it! So I got her a paper white.....

she has not missed the keyboard at all - but she purely uses it as an e reader - e.g. it's just an electronic book she never uses any other functions
    I broke the screen on my keyboard one and upgraded to paperwhite, which is what I use. I then paid £35 to someone on eBay to repair the screen on the broken one (£30 for the screen, £5 for them to repair it and send it back to me) which I then gave to my wife.

I don't miss the keyboard at all.
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      Went from an original Kindle to a Paperwhite a while back and haven't looked back. The only problem I've had is if you doze off with your finger on the touchscreen you're liable to end up several pages further on or further back (depending on which finger...) than the one you were reading. Other than that, it's finem and the on-screen keyboard is no worse than the original button-driven one.
      Ditto.
      I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
        Ditto.
        I have a voyage but I bought that when it offered the higher resolution screen and the paperwhite didn't. The extra functionality (buttons on the back allow you to move page) isn't worth the extra money now the paperwhite has the same screen.

I like the look of the oasis but can't justify (and nor could probably anyone else) the expense...
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Mrs.sal had the kindle without keyboard and upgraded to paperwhite for the backlight, she seems pleased with both, you rarely need the keyboard if you only read books and it's a waste of screenspace IMHO.

I personally can't get myself to read books, after discovering the wonderfully lazy world of Audiobooks

Comment

I know my old Kindle has MP3 support under the experimental features, do newer ones include support for audio books?
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              I know my old Kindle has MP3 support under the experimental features, do newer ones include support for audio books?
              I haven't listened to an MP3 since Spotify / Amazon Prime music moved into ScruffTowers. Paperwhite doesn't support them, however.
              I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                I don't think you can listen to audio books on them, they support whispersync if the audible audio book is whispersync ready, meaning that you can jump between the audiobook and the kindle e-book effortlessly.

Surely you have a smartphone that can play audiobooks and they don't drain much battery, the main advantage of ereaders over tablets/phones is the e-ink display that is gentle on the eyes, with audiobooks this advantage is gone, so the feature will not fit that well.

Comment

Working...
                X