• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MBP now, or later ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MBP now, or later ...

Need a work laptop - with a MacBook Pro being a dead cert for the job.

But then I had a quick search, and it appears (according to opinions) that an updated MBP will be launched later this year, with some interesting updates (updated processor, 32GB RAM!) - as one analyst put it - "the most significantly redesigned product this year".

Am dithering somewhat now:

- Get the new one - with a newer, better one available later in the year (but .. there's alway something better just round the corner.
    - Buy the older (pre touchbar) version, which is still available, and cheaper. But as I could claim VAT back on the newest model, and not on the older model (under the FRS 2k limit), it doesn't seem worthwhile
    - Buy a second hand MBP for ~£1,000
    - Buy a cheaper Windows laptop to see me through to "A day"

Anyone got the newest MBP ?
    Am currently tempted to go with buying a second hand MBP off the usual places...

Did I dream it or haven't Apple announced that due to Brexit, they're hiking their prices by some extortionate amount on top of the already totally stupid prices they charge for commodity grade Intel based hardware in a fancy box?
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiler View Post

But then I had a quick search, and it appears (according to opinions) that an updated MBP will be launched later this year, with some interesting updates (updated processor, 32GB RAM!) - as one analyst put it - "the most significantly redesigned product this year".

- Get the new one - with a newer, better one available later in the year (but .. there's alway something better just round the corner.
      - Buy the older (pre touchbar) version, which is still available, and cheaper. But as I could claim VAT back on the newest model, and not on the older model (under the FRS 2k limit), it doesn't seem worthwhile

Am currently tempted to go with buying a second hand MBP off the usual places...
      They've only just updated it so your looking at next summer at least for a upgrade bump (maybe longer) before they punt a new one out. If you need one buy one.

Comment

Buy a pre-touchbar or second-hand MBP.

Apple have jumped the shark with the TouchBar, which is a gimmick looking for a solution and unless they buck their ideas up I'm keeping my MBP (2012) for as long as I can before getting a Windows laptop.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          Buy a pre-touchbar or second-hand MBP.

Apple have jumped the shark with the TouchBar, which is a gimmick looking for a solution and unless they buck their ideas up I'm keeping my MBP (2012) for as long as I can before getting a Windows laptop.
          Although I haven't seen the touchbar up close, it didn't look that appealing to me.

Also looked at the MS Surface kit - both book and pro. Just not sure I'm ready to ditch OSX - I had a MBP in a previous role and had it setup just right. My desktop is an iMac. I've a client's Lenovo running Windows 7 - and don't enjoy that much !

Comment

Although I haven't seen the touchbar up close, it didn't look that appealing to me.

Also looked at the MS Surface kit - both book and pro. Just not sure I'm ready to ditch OSX - I had a MBP in a previous role and had it setup just right. My desktop is an iMac. I've a client's Lenovo running Windows 7 - and don't enjoy that much !
            I've had a play with the new one in the Apple shop, didn't like the keyboard (too shallow), the touchbar seems a gimmick and the massive price increase doesn't help, I bought my 2015 MBP when it came out 18 months ago, will probbaly be my last one unless Apple sort themselves out!

Comment

They launched a new Skylake MBP (non touchbar) at the same time as the TouchBar, not sure when the next uplift will be but won't be soon
              Last edited by SimonMac; 30 January 2017, 11:22.
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Now thinking about getting a new (old version) MBP, although most high street stockists only seem to have the 256GB disk, no 512GB ones around. John Lewis include a 3 year guarantee.

Get one for £1900, then include another £100 kit and I can reclaim the VAT.

Surface book screen sizes look too small, so discarded them.

Quick look at other 'normal' laptops - I could get this for £1300. Dell XPS 15 Notebook, Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Full HD, 15.6".

Much easier when someone just gives you a laptop and you have to use it regardless !

Comment

Surface book screen sizes look too small, so discarded them.
                  Got a surface book and great bit of kit. Screen size is good, resolution is fantastic - shame about my old eyes. Only issue it's near impossible to upgrade hard-drive etc.

Microsoft Surface Book review: Specifications and value | TechRadar

https://www.engadget.com/2015/10/21/...e-book-review/

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                    They launched a new Skylake MBP (non touchbar) at the same time as the TouchBar, not sure when the next uplift will be but won't be soon
                    Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
                    They've only just updated it so your looking at next summer at least for a upgrade bump (maybe longer) before they punt a new one out. If you need one buy one.
                    It might be sooner than you think (2nd half of 2017). Granted these are rumors, but these guys are right more often than not:

New 15-Inch MacBook Pro With Kaby Lake and 32GB of Desktop-Class RAM Coming Later This Year - Mac Rumors

If your work is not demanding by a cheapo laptop and wait for potential update of MBP. If you go for older sub £2k MBP, either do it after you get out of FRS (since you most likely have to do it anyway post April) or add some other crap like a Display or iPad to the invoice to bring it to £2k+

I was in the same boat this time last year while waiting for the Surface Book to arrive in mid Feb and needed a replacement lapie, as i lost mine on the train. Got a MacBook Air off amazon with the intention of returning it within the 30 days, but wife liked it and kept it.
                    Last edited by sal; 30 January 2017, 16:01.

Comment

Working...
                    X