• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Surface pro 4 users, Is it comfortable to use of the lap?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surface pro 4 users, Is it comfortable to use of the lap?

I bought a linx10 tablet a year ago to see if I could get on with windows OS on a tablet. My Ipad was not getting much use due to lack of keyboard & Mouse for remote desktop connection to other pc's or vms. The linx10 tablet filled that gap at a ridiculously cheap price of £120 but the crappy 1280*800 screen resolution is getting to me now and I cant find any other tablet at similar price point or more with a decent screen resolution

So I have been eyeing up the Surface pro 4. The most important aspect for me is that I need to be able to use it on my lap while docked into its keyboard at home in couch potato mode.

Is it usable on the lap?

cheers

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
    I bought a linx10 tablet a year ago to see if I could get on with windows OS on a tablet. My Ipad was not getting much use due to lack of keyboard & Mouse for remote desktop connection to other pc's or vms. The linx10 tablet filled that gap at a ridiculously cheap price of £120 but the crappy 1280*800 screen resolution is getting to me now and I cant find any other tablet at similar price point or more with a decent screen resolution

So I have been eyeing up the Surface pro 4. The most important aspect for me is that I need to be able to use it on my lap while docked into its keyboard at home in couch potato mode.

Is it usable on the lap?

cheers
    nope the flap at the back really requires a table if you are using the keyboard. The surface book is designed for working on your lap but has the price tag attached.

I believe your best bet is probably the Latitude 7275 with the premium keyboard but I've only played with 1 for 10 minutes.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

You could go full Mark Thomas project and get a proper Surface...

https://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-surface-hub/en-gb
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Surface pro 4 didn't work out for me for couch potato mode, so i went for the surface book despite the eye watering price tag.

If you are after something cheaper look at http://shop.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/yoga/
        Last edited by sal; 15 November 2016, 11:38.

Comment

I guess Surface Pro 4 is not on Santa's list then

I was looking for a complete detachable 2-in-1 rather than the Yoda style which could make the thickness unbearable in tablet mode.

The Latitude does fit the bill but I guess I was only willing the pay that type of price only on a surface pro 4... A search on the dell website has lead me to a Venue 11 Pro which looks cheap enough on fleabay

Comment

The quality of Dell products has declined steeply in the past couple of years. From servers, to laptops. And i'm talking about both the electronics and the assembly. I have seen scores Dell laptops delivered to ClienCo going back for replacement the next day for crap like defective GPUs, RAM, dents, shell/body not fully closed you name it. And we are not talking about the cheapest of their lines but XPS and high end Inspirons.

But i guess having £60ish billions of dept is a valid reason for cutting corners...

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
              I guess Surface Pro 4 is not on Santa's list then

I was looking for a complete detachable 2-in-1 rather than the Yoda style which could make the thickness unbearable in tablet mode.

The Latitude does fit the bill but I guess I was only willing the pay that type of price only on a surface pro 4... A search on the dell website has lead me to a Venue 11 Pro which looks cheap enough on fleabay
              Hint, Dell outlet...

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                The quality of Dell products has declined steeply in the past couple of years. From servers, to laptops. And i'm talking about both the electronics and the assembly. I have seen scores Dell laptops delivered to ClienCo going back for replacement the next day for crap like defective GPUs, RAM, dents, shell/body not fully closed you name it. And we are not talking about the cheapest of their lines but XPS and high end Inspirons.

But i guess having £60ish billions of dept is a valid reason for cutting corners...
                So the consumer brands then. I've not seen the same issues with the business machines probably because the 3 year next day on site repair encourages better quality control.

Comment

Have to echo what others have said, as I found the Surface Pro 3 a bit uncomfortable on the lap......MyCo had a pow-wow about it and went for a Surface Book to replace it
                  latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

I found that it was okay if I used it as a tablet, you can flip the keyboard cover over completely as a base stand so actually, works quite nicely. Downside is that I have to use the on-screen keyboard and the pen but have gotten use to it.
                    Join IPSE

Comment

Working...
                    X